Tyre inserts and Puncture protection.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Thought i would start a new thread and ask members how they are getting along with any inserts, mouses and tyres that may help prevent cuts, splits and pinches.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I have been running tubeless tires for 18 years. I haven’t had a flat tire in the last 16 years. Knock on wood
My current set up on my Kenevo is Roval Traverse Sl 38 wheels with 27.5x2.8 Butcher BLCK DMND tires, Cushcore inserts, Problem Solvers Pnut valve stems and E*Thirteen tire plasma sealant.
Love the way this rides and I don’t predict getting a flat anytime soon and I mostly ride in desert like conditions in California were goathead thorns and cactus needles litter the trail. We also have lots of rock gardens full of sharp rocks, but the Cushcore inserts protect my rims and I don’t get any tire burp.
They also give the tire a better level of grip that I can only describe as power steering like.
I also have TyreWiz valve thingys which are kinda useless, although it has shown me how much my air pressure will increase the hotter it gets on a ride.
A87AEE1A-98B1-4999-B857-0AFA1165EABC.jpeg

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
I got a 6mm long slash in the back tyre along the tread yesterday and it was too big for the stans race sealant to fix. Sealant was only a few days old. Luckly i was running a vittoria air liner insert and it allowed me to Finish my last downhill run and then ride a mile back to the van on the insert alone. Was running magic Mary's at 2.8. Can't wait for the Eddie currant to come out.

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
I have been running tubeless tires for 18 years. I haven’t had a flat tire in the last 16 years. Knock on wood
My current set up on my Kenevo is Roval Traverse Sl 38 wheels with 27.5x2.8 Butcher BLCK DMND tires, Cushcore inserts, Problem Solvers Pnut valve stems and E*Thirteen tire plasma sealant.
Love the way this rides and I don’t predict getting a flat anytime soon and I mostly ride in desert like conditions in California were goathead thorns and cactus needles litter the trail. We also have lots of rock gardens full of sharp rocks, but the Cushcore inserts protect my rims and I don’t get any tire burp.
They also give the tire a better level of grip that I can only describe as power steering like.
I also have TyreWiz valve thingys which are kinda useless, although it has shown me how much my air pressure will increase the hotter it gets on a ride.
View attachment 4159

Just looked at tyrewiz Al (as I do love a gadget) and conceptually they look like a great innovation, albeit expensive... noting your comments in the above post, I’m interested to hear more about them. Are they kinda useless as they don’t work or just not good value?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Inserts are certainly the way forward ,
the fact you could ride on a flat with some Of them is amazing .
how far can we ride on a flat , relying on the insert ? No one knows yet I guess Plus the insert is going to get chewed up and with the price of some of them that’s an expensive trip home .

My thinking with inserts is what do I do with the insert if I damage a tyre badly and need to tube it . I then need to carry a sealant covered insert back with me . I already carry a few pairs of disposable gloves good for first aid but also sealant all over your gloves and hands isn’t nice .
I guess a bin liner to carry a mucky insert is an item worth carrying too .
So better than above idea
Iam thinking of carrying a smaller tube that will fit under the insert so I can leave the insert in the tyre . It needs a little experimenting with tube size etc but I think it would work with some inserts

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles