Tyre advice please

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
I should be grateful for some tyre advice, and I promise I have already read the ultimate tyre thread but although I learned a lot it left me no wiser what tyres would be best for me.
My Haibike Alltrail 6.0 came with 27.5x2.8 Maxxis DHF and DHR tubed tyres. They seem fine but I have a £150 voucher to spend at my LBS and I thought of getting a spare set of tyres.
I use the bike, often well loaded with camping and fishing equipment, on estate and forest tracks some with sharp stones and others very muddy. I don’t bounce fast downhill over rocks and roots!
The Maxxis tyres seem ok and my only problem has been the rear wheel (understandably) skidding as I attempted a steep climb on wet grass.
My absolute priority is to minimise the risk of punctures. Then grip. Light weight and good rolling resistance are a bonus rather than a requirement.
I was thinking of tubeless with, perhaps, Tannus armour but what tyres??
Suggestions very welcome thanks.

Scott5297

May 10, 2020
Birmingham
If you wish to use Tannus armour, you will not be going tubeless. See Tannus FAQ

I have had Schwalbe "Smart Sam" and then "Hans Dampf" tyres on my bike. Both types had very good grip in my experience.

I don't do anything particularly extreme on my bike so other riders might have better opinions.

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
If you wish to use Tannus armour, you will not be going tubeless. See Tannus FAQ

I have had Schwalbe "Smart Sam" and then "Hans Dampf" tyres on my bike. Both types had very good grip in my experience.

I don't do anything particularly extreme on my bike so other riders might have better opinions.
How did I miss that:mad:
Thanks.

Stanpipe

Jun 12, 2020
Isle of Wight - UK
Also.....take a look at Michelin E-Wild front and rear. Cheaper than Maxxis but found them better across a wider range of conditions. Sidewalls hold up well at low pressures too. ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles