Two hour loops near Methyr Tydfil

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
We are staying for a few days at Methyr Tydfil near the Llwyn - Onn reservoir, to ride BPW and some other riding. Can anyone recommend any 2 - 3 hour loops around the area as filler in for the days we are not at BPW. Looking for chill out style rides rather than epic adventures.

Thanks.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Thanks, we want to leave Afan for another weekend, there looks a lot to do down that way.

Looking for more XC rather than Bike Centres.

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
The gap loop from Talybont-on-usk is really good, around half an hour from Merthyr, and the Blorenge near Abergavenny is a good route as well which doesn’t take long but has a great couple of long descents (also around half an hour from Merthyr).

I’ve attached the gpx files.

Attachments

• 02 The Blorenge.gpx
    39.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Trail down to Cwm Callan – The Gap Loop from Talybont on Usk.gpx
    85.7 KB · Views: 12

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Thanks, the Gap loop is on my list to do but not this trip. Looking for loops close to Methyr rather than having to drive too far, its a chill out trip as such.

Its interesting that the Llwyn - Onn reservoir is just one ridge over from the Gap route with paths over, any idea from anyone just how accessible on bikes are those tracks ?
1714564714371.png

Last edited:

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
The locals don't really go for easy stuff mate, there's places like Merthyr Vale but that's super tech and steep, but i'd bet there's fireroad stuff there too, There's a LOT of ongoing roadworks with the new bypass and everywhere i see is either 'town' or trashed completely by the digging

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
The locals don't really go for easy stuff mate
Sure agree with that. Reds are fine for us but as we are a geriatric bunch, riding 4 continuos days is tough on the bodies, its nice to have a couple of days of easier stuff interspersed with BPW. :)

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
Oh i hear you 100% on that fella... I may be faster and better than i used to be, but i'm DEFFO older than i used to be and riding day in day out at tough places really is an absolute killer.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles