Turning a Trek E Caliber into a gravel bike?

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
Does that sound like a dumb idea? I’d put a drop bar on it and like 45 to 50mm tires. It would see 50/50 road and gravel usage. I’d have to get a range extender, for longer rides. But, I have an EXe, so I could also use the range extender for that. I’d probably need a bigger chain ring and I’d have to change the brakes. But, I don’t see any reason why I couldn’t do this. What do you guys/ladies think? Oh I did think of something. The 20 mph cutoff. I wonder if I talked to TQ if they could help me change that to 28, like other gravel Ebikes.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I think the Fauza motor is perfect for a gravel bike, but I wouldn’t install drop bars. I’ve had flat bars on gravel bikes before and I like them. Just narrowed them up a bit. (Called a hybrid).

See what your LBS can change your tire width down to. A narrow tire which has better rolling for pavement and/or gravel might be good for your use.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
No, that would be called a commuter bike. I wouldn’t go flat bar for long road/gravel rides. Drop bars will put me in a more aero position and give me 3 different hand positions, when my hands get tired. I won’t be doing any technical off road, so no need for a flat bar. My biggest issue would be the 20mph cutoff. I’m not sure if anyone makes a hack for that.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
No, that would be called a commuter bike. I wouldn’t go flat bar for long road/gravel.
True, but the wider tires allowed me to gravel it. But I preferred narrow flat bars. No suspension though. The saddle was very important …and the padding shorts. 🩳

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
True, but the wider tires allowed me to gravel it. But I preferred narrow flat bars. No suspension though. The saddle was very important …and the padding shorts. 🩳
Yeah, I get what you’re saying. Thats what’s cool about bikes. There’s like, infinite ways to set a bike up. And, when you’re hung like a donkey, padding is very important. 🤣

IMG_2895.png

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Does that sound like a dumb idea? I’d put a drop bar on it and like 45 to 50mm tires. It would see 50/50 road and gravel usage. I’d have to get a range extender, for longer rides. But, I have an EXe, so I could also use the range extender for that. I’d probably need a bigger chain ring and I’d have to change the brakes. But, I don’t see any reason why I couldn’t do this. What do you guys/ladies think? Oh I did think of something. The 20 mph cutoff. I wonder if I talked to TQ if they could help me change that to 28, like other gravel Ebikes.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
i bought a second wheel set for my commencal meta power with a shimano e8000 motor. mounted with schwabe g force speed tires. i use it with a friend who has a 28 mph e bike. i didn’t do anything else so yes to max power to 18-20 mph. so that limits speed on flats. i use it in western marin and sonoma counties. it’s good enough.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles