Levo SL Gen 1 Turbo Levo v Levo SL power equivalents

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Hi
New member here and first post so am looking for a bit of advice.
We bought my wife a 2020 Levo Comp a couple of weeks back, first EMTB. I had a ride, although it was one size too small, I loved it. I currently ride a 2019 S Works Stumpy but am seriously considering the switch.
My question really is around the two Levo’s.
I set her bike at 20% support and 35% max in eco which I rode it in for the whole ride. This felt great and I wouldn’t be looking for too much more power very often.
At the end of the ride my average support for the ride was 117% via the Mission Control App. It was only an 11 mile ride but used 16% of the battery.
At this setting would this be less or more support and Max power than the SL gives. I’m guessing that the SL can give more than this but what settings would I need to have it set at for similar results?
Is it possible to then guess what percentage of the smaller battery I would use on the same ride at these similar power gain settings There may be too many variables but a good guess would be really helpful. My mind can’t work this out!!
Any help would be great. Pete

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Honestly, you'd have to try the SL to come up with comparable settings. You can't just compare the numbers across two different motors.

From personal experience of moving from a full-fat (Bosch) to an SL motor, it's all different.

I run much lower support % on my SL then I ever could on the Bosch Eco mode, get more miles-per-Wh, and still arrive home feeling as exercised.

Partly, its down to SL efficiency. I'm also now noticing it's partly due to the de-coupling of the SL when exceeding the assist level: It's easier to spend more time above the assist level, so I am covering more ground, at higher speed, using less battery, and with less effort!

Just gotta try it out. 3 months in and I am still learning what settings work for me on this bike.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
I’ve ridden both. The SL feels like it has a bit more power than the 35nm would suggest probably due to how lightweight the bike is compared to the Levo. I have no idea about settings as I don’t pay them any mind on my bike or any other as I’m perfectly happy with stock settings, but I’d say eco on SL is fairly similar to eco on Levo due to the weight difference I mentioned. Turbo on SL would be like or maybe a hair higher than the trail setting on Levo. If you want the more capable bike go Levo.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
the ranges of both bikes are similar when you use the extender battery. With the sl you may feel a bit more involved as typically you work harder but it is also more responsive with it's lighter weight and shorter chainstays

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
If you just want a bit of help the SL is like a Stumpjumper with a hill flattening button, if your more DH orientated or lazy then the full fat is for you.

• Agree
Reactions: CjP

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
If you just want a bit of help the SL is like a Stumpjumper with a hill flattening button, if your more DH orientated or lazy then the full fat is for you.

Lazy? You can put forth just as much effort into the pedals riding a Levo as you can an SL. You just go faster with more capability while on the Levo which IMO is way more fun and why I personally became an emtb rider. I ride and build trails that you’ll NEVER have the ability to make it up on the SL but with the Levo in turbo it’s a fun and doable challenge.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Thanks for all of the inputs, anymore would also be appreciated. It may be that I do need to try and do a test ride on the SL. I am currently leaning Turbo Levo for the added flexibility but still not sure. I loved the planted feeling it gave when I rode it.

michaeldorian

Jul 25, 2018
California
I own both. Totally different experience. If I could only have 1 it would be the LEVO. The LEVO gives you the full E experience. The speed etc. The weight and feel of the motor and longer wheelbase makes I feel like a super planted smash enduro bike. It’s quite capable smashing some big stuff.

The SL honestly feels exactly like my Stumpjumper. Like identical. Even down to the geo and sizing. In ECO mode I had to look down and see if the thing is turned on. It’s the most analog bike like experience you’re going to get. In Trail it still feels like I’m just riding the Stumpy with some edge taken off on the hill climbs. You’re going to put in work to get up the climbs stills. Unlike the LEVO, in Trail mode you get that super human feeling climbing up. I almost never ride Turbo mode. It feels like too much. Where as if you can ride Turbo mode on the SL more of the time, you would get more of that Trail feel of the LEVO. But battery would be dead. I would say Turbo on the SL feels somewhere between ECO and Trail on the LEVO.

The SL is seamless when turned off as a standard bike.

Both bikes had about the same battery levels left after similar elevation but I put in a lot more work on the SL.

It also depends on who you’re riding with. I rode the SL with a group for full on LEVOs and for most of the ride they left me in the dust. They were all waiting for me at the top as if I was analog an analog bike.

When I was climbing solo on the SL at times I felt like the bike was off and is it actually working, but in reality I was slowly passing most analog riders so it was definitely giving boost. It just feels that natural.

I also had the LEVO first so that might make the SL power feel so anemic in comparison.

Once you ride the LEVO and get addicted to E, the SL will feel very slow.

Also all the things I didn’t like about the stumpy on fast DH like twitchiness, short wheelbase etc was the same on the SL.

The SL is noisy. Like real noisy. Because of the gears. I can hear the noise over headphones.

Good luck!

Last edited:

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
I own both. Totally different experience. If I could only have 1 it would be the LEVO. The LEVO gives you the full E experience. The speed etc. The weight and feel of the motor and longer wheelbase makes I feel like a super planted smash enduro bike. It’s quite capable smashing some big stuff.

The SL honestly feels exactly like my Stumpjumper. Like identical. Even down to the geo and sizing. In ECO mode I had to look down and see if the thing is turned on. It’s the most analog bike like experience you’re going to get. In Trail it still feels like I’m just riding the stumpy with some edge taken off on the hill climbs. But you’re going to put in work to get up the climbs stills. Unlike the LEVO in trails you get that super human feeling with smashing up in trail mode.

Both bikes had about the same battery levels left after similar elevation but I put in a lot more work on the SL.

It also depends on who you’re riding with. I rode the SL with a group for full on LEVOs An’s for most of the ride they left me in the dust. And we’re waiting for me at the top as if I was analog.

When I was climbing solo on the SL at times I felt like the bike was off and is it actually working, but in reality I was slowly passing most analog riders so it was definitely giving boost. It just feels that natural.

I also had the LEVO first so that might make the SL power feel so anemic in comparison.

Once you ride the LEVO and get addicted to E, the SL will fee very slow.

Also all the things I didn’t like about the stumpy on fast DH like twitchiness, short wheelbase etc was the same on the SL.

Good luck.

Excellent assessment. Should be a sticky!?

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon

The SL honestly feels exactly like my Stumpjumper. Like identical. Even down to the geo and sizing. In ECO mode I had to look down and see if the thing is turned on. It’s the most analog bike like experience you’re going to get. In Trail it still feels like I’m just riding the Stumpy with some edge taken off on the hill climbs. You’re going to put in work to get up the climbs stills. Unlike the LEVO, in Trail mode you get that super human feeling climbing up. I almost never ride Turbo mode. It feels like too much. Where as if you can ride Turbo mode on the SL more of the time, you would get more of that Trail feel of the LEVO. But battery would be dead. I would say Turbo on the SL feels somewhere between ECO and Trail on the LEVO.

It also depends on who you’re riding with. I rode the SL with a group for full on LEVOs and for most of the ride they left me in the dust. They were all waiting for me at the top as if I was analog an analog bike.

The SL is noisy. Like real noisy. Because of the gears. I can hear the noise over headphones.

Good luck!
Great analogy and spot on to my experience of the two bikes!

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey

Good luck!
Thanks. This is a real help and keeps me leaning towards the Levo. I would try and arrange a test ride on the SL just to be sure but it’s obviously a bit tricky at this time.
I’m also slightly concerned that the Levo may get a re design for 2021. It seems that most people think that won’t be here until 2022 but we won’t know for sure for a few months, maybe August.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I own a Kenevo and love my Gravity/DH riding but for the tamer parks/forrest riding the Levo SL is pretty fun. I hate climbing on an analogue but the SL just gives you enough power to make you feel like a Pro XC rider.
It’s by no means a powerhouse like the full fat bikes and not as fun flying up a hill but the low weight and zippy feeling of the SL is actually really addictive.
I wouldn’t be disappointed with either option really as they both have there merits. I’m leaning towards the SL at the moment after spending a good day on one recently. Just can’t get past the light feeling and how much fun it was.
Defiantly try get out on one for a proper test in the hills.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles