Tubeless Tyre Question

Jimmi

Jun 25, 2018
Harefield
Hi Guys, I have just removed my innertubes and gone tubeless for the first time. It was very easy to do with the Specialized 2Bliss tyres. My question is......Is it possible to use any tyre tubeless, or is there something I need to look out for when buying new tyres?
Sorry if this is a totally noob question!

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Pretty much any tire can be installed tubeless, but generally non tubeless spec (cheap) tyres tend to be quite porous on the side walls and therefore need a lot more fluid and time installing to make them airtight.

villho

May 26, 2018
Siuntio,Finland
Also tubeless-ready Spec tires can become quite porous
IMG_4404.JPG

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
To be honest, pretty much any tyre will succumb to a sharp rock, there is only so thick they can make the side walls, it's a pretty rare occurrence thankfully, but a complete git when it happens! I always carry £20 with me now since it happened to me a few years back and had to get the wife to drive out and collect me, total ride-ending situation, short of carrying a spare tyre. £20 for an UBER home!

villho

May 26, 2018
Siuntio,Finland
Instead of 20 £ (well, of course you need to carry money, so that you can buy a cup of coffee on a break), one should carry a spare tube. I had one today and I simply put that in and we were off again. I don't leave home without a tubeless patch kit, a spare tube + pump, chain tool + links, derailleur hanger and zip ties and some gorilla tape.

I’m patching today’s victim and trusting it still has some life left:
_medium.jpg

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
Wow, that's an epic repair! Thanks for the tips, I do carry all that other stuff, but if the split is too bad, a spare tube just bubbles through of course. I've never tried a tubeless repair kit though, didn't realise it was possible as surely the integrity of the tyre is ruined ? I'd be replacing the tyre after the ride, but as a get you home solution, I guess it's worth looking into. Which kit do you recommend for this please ?

villho

May 26, 2018
Siuntio,Finland
For trailside fix with a tube, just take an old tire and cut a "patch" out of it to carry in a backbag. You can put that patch between the cut and the tube and the tube will not bubble out. The actual tubeless fix kit is for those holes that are too big for the sealant to plug, but which are salvageable on the trail without putting a tube in. This time the cut was of course too wide for those as well, so in with a tube.

And reg. the actual repair, before I glued the real patch in, I did some stiching with strong string to add some strength. This was the first time I did this, but I asked experiences from my comrades and they all said that it will be good. I'm going to pop the tire back today, so we'll see.

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
For Trailside tyre tear repairs I take a piece of old toothpaste tube cut and flattened out which can go between split in the tyre and tube if too big for the sealant to manage. The new £5 and £10 notes that are made of plastic would probably work ok too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles