Tubeless question

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo
18D9E05A-E2F7-49EF-8109-993290E2DE4A.jpeg
What does it mean? Can I insert a presta valve in this hole to go tubeless??

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
That doesn't sound right. I took a look at the Decathlon website and it doesn't look like they offer tubeless-compatible rims. If your rim doesn't explicitly say "tubeless ready" or "tubeless compatible" I would assume the rim is *not* tubeless compatible.

It's not that it's impossible to make a non-tubeless rim work with tubeless tires, but that's essentially a hack and not for everybody.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
It's marked as tubeless.
In that case, I'd suggest a valve that comes with multiple rubber basses so you're not out of luck if one proves too small. Muc-Off tubeless valves apparently come with three bases.

I punch a pinhole through a 1cm square of old inner tube and push my valve stem through that. That might add a bit of extra width to help you seal the hole.

Finally, at the risk of saying the obvious, keep in mind that you're not trying to seal the hole on the outside of the rim, and not exactly trying to seal the hole on the inside either. You just want to close the hole in the rim tape and make sure the base is securely anchored against the hole with no chance of pushing through. Since you should start with new rim tape, the hole in the tape will be as small as you want it to be.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles