Trek Rail 5 has landed!

philuk

Jun 22, 2021
North Yorkshire UK
So chuffed!

Waited 10 weeks but its landed and my mrs collected it for me the other day! Went straight to dalby and did an 11 mile route with some of my mates!

Very impressed! Need to test out some tyre & shock pressures - Only had the chad plastic pedals that come with it on but ive swapped them out. Ive got a tubeless kit ready to fit at home but im tempted to wait until i need to take the tyres off before i fit them!

Arms and arse are hurting now!

bike.jpg
bike2.jpg

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
Congrats! I see Trek sells a different Rail 5 in the UK than in the US - we have just one color/battery (500) option, you've got two models (500, 625) each with two colors. More to the point, Trek's UK site shows three pages of e-mtbs, US just one. Shows you how far behind the US is ...

philuk

Jun 22, 2021
North Yorkshire UK
Congrats! I see Trek sells a different Rail 5 in the UK than in the US - we have just one color/battery (500) option, you've got two models (500, 625) each with two colors. More to the point, Trek's UK site shows three pages of e-mtbs, US just one. Shows you how far behind the US is ...

Yea there is two colour options for the 2020/2021 range, Not sure what the colour changes are for the 2022 range.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Nice color!

Some things to observe:
- Rim joints moving under tape and emptying tires
- Freehub bearing radial play
- GX derailleur ready for broken SX one and new chain
- Rockshox 35 Gold RL too tight stanchions
- Chainring nut tightening with correct tool

philuk

Jun 22, 2021
North Yorkshire UK
Nice color!

Some things to observe:
- Rim joints moving under tape and emptying tires
- Freehub bearing radial play
- GX derailleur ready for broken SX one and new chain
- Rockshox 35 Gold RL too tight stanchions
- Chainring nut tightening with correct tool

Thats great. When you say rim joints moving under tape? Is that a tubeless specific problem?

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Thats great. When you say rim joints moving under tape? Is that a tubeless specific problem?
My 2020 bike had Alex MD35 rims as stock and on my possibly bit rough use the joint moved in such way that running tubeless was too much work. They were okay for a while when I glued them and put rim tape over the joint but in the end there was too much unnecessary work for me.

Notable is that at the same time I had third freehub going and it was shit quality straight from Trek package. I just bought totally new wheelset and cushcores to keep wheels turning.

It's totally possible that you never face this issue but just came to my mind when writing some notes.

philuk

Jun 22, 2021
North Yorkshire UK
My 2020 bike had Alex MD35 rims as stock and on my possibly bit rough use the joint moved in such way that running tubeless was too much work. They were okay for a while when I glued them and put rim tape over the joint but in the end there was too much unnecessary work for me.

Notable is that at the same time I had third freehub going and it was shit quality straight from Trek package. I just bought totally new wheelset and cushcores to keep wheels turning.

It's totally possible that you never face this issue but just came to my mind when writing some notes.

Yea thats fine i appreciate the input. I plan on going tubeless but was gonna wait until i needed to swap out a tube maybe and just do it all at once :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles