trek rail 5 2023 chainring

ant

May 28, 2024
northampton
hello i’ve got a trek rail 5 2023 and im after a bigger chainring as i dont use the low gears anyway and do a lot of high speed,
i know theres not much room there but i read somewhere that you can get a offset one.
thank you

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
My 2020 medium Rail came with a 34t chainring. I’m assuming you want a 36t chainring, which can/will increase your speed to the point where you have no peddle assist (32kmh in North America, 25kph in Europe).

If you mainly use your bike as a commuter this makes sense, but you’ll likely need a by-pass (ie; speed-box) for your governed motor.

A larger chainring (36t) will need more clearance between the cogs of the chaining thus slightly changing the chain angle to the cassette. The plastic chain guard may also need to be shimmed out a bit. The clearance between the chaining cogs and lower chain stay will change also. A 36t chaining will need to be further away from the motor to prevent any chainstay damage.

So there’s a number of things to consider. There may be more in this area and some other riders may have some good suggestions.

In my opinion a “speed-box” may be the answer if you’re in Europe and primarily use your bike as a commuter.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles