Trek freewheel / hub question?

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
A bit off eMTB but since there's so many who wrench here thought maybe someone might have an answer? This is a Allant 7 Trek eBike. Anyone know how to extract the freehub body to grease it? Have taken off non-drive side cone / lock nut / spacer but nothing. Can't get under the hub body to take off drive side? All bearings are cartridge type. Is it necessary to pull a bearing to do this? Doesn't just slide off like on my Rail.
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I suggest you refit the non drive side nuts....you will need them to hold the axle as you undo the cone nuts on the drive side. They look to be on a standard thread as far as I can see....so counter clockwise to undo. Once they are removed the freehub should pull off.

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
@Aikone thx for the effort but that's not it. Uses cartridge bearing.

@Mikerb did try that but it didn't "feel right" trying to back off the nut. Thinking now, I put the cone wrench on the outside nut and probably should've used the inside one on the "non-drive" side. Will try that next time I service the wheel.

Thanks to you both for taking a moment 🙏

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
@Aikone thx for the effort but that's not it. Uses cartridge bearing.

@Mikerb did try that but it didn't "feel right" trying to back off the nut. Thinking now, I put the cone wrench on the outside nut and probably should've used the inside one on the "non-drive" side. Will try that next time I service the wheel.

Thanks to you both for taking a moment 🙏
yes..thats why I said to put the non drive cone nuts back on and lock them. Its the only way to stop the axle rotating when you try to undo the drive side cone nut. The arrangement looks similar to the formula hub set up on the 2019 Levo except on the Levo the drive side only had one reverse thread cone nut.
It is possible that the freehub is the type that unscrews from the hub. you should be a ble to tell once the cone nuts are removed. It will have a 10mm hex in the centre ( sometimes 12mm)

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
yes..thats why I said to put the non drive cone nuts back on and lock them. Its the only way to stop the axle rotating when you try to undo the drive side cone nut. The arrangement looks similar to the formula hub set up on the 2019 Levo except on the Levo the drive side only had one reverse thread cone nut.
It is possible that the freehub is the type that unscrews from the hub. you should be a ble to tell once the cone nuts are removed. It will have a 10mm hex in the centre ( sometimes 12mm)
Think that's the ticket - I'd tried that but did so using the outside lock nut, not the cone nut underneath it, 1/4 turn felt odd and didn't break the opposite nut off. Didn't want to mess up the threads. I'm the slowest wrench in town but try not to mangle things. Thanks again for your guidance / advice!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles