Trance E+ 3 randomly provides no assist while climbing hills

Atebit

Aug 13, 2024
PA
I have a Trance E+ 3 that I purchased new in July 24 (so not sure if it’s a ‘23 or ‘24). When I was bike shopping, I was told that Giant uses “six sensors” to determine when and how much assist to deliver, subject of course to the assist mode the bike is in.

As discussed in other threads, I find Auto mode to generally be useless and stay out of it. But, even in the non-Auto modes, I can’t seem to fathom how this bike determines when and how much assist to deliver. My impression during riding is that it’s happy to assist me on the flat, where I usually don’t want it, but it will often provide little assist when ascending a steep grade.

In my mind, assuming that a torque sensor is included in that array of “six sensors”, sensing me exerting a period of high torque should cause the assist to kick in. An increase in both rider-applied torque and cadence should also trigger more assist. But randomly, neither seem to happen and and I’m left really struggling to get up that hill. When this happens, shifting into the larger chainrings doesn’t cajole the motor into providing more assist, either.

Note that this isn’t the same “system cuts out” issue from other threads. My bike has the RideControl Dash display, and that stays on the whole time I’m experiencing this issue, so I don’t think that it’s physically something loose/wet/etc. After finally getting up the hill, the motor’s happy to provide assist again on the flat. :). Either I’m not providing the right inputs to the system to result in assist, or the assist algorithms the motor controller’s using in the non-auto modes are wonky.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
The Giant (Yamaha) motor will provide assistance even at low cadence on the flat using any assist level, but it needs a good rhythm when going uphill. Have you tried +/- 80 RPM when climbing?

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Each level of assist (of 5) will only provide "X" amount of assist.
So for example in level 1 it is only going to add 50% of your effort or so. Can't remember the exact amounts for each level.
Level 2 will provide 100%, level 3 at 175% etc.
You can see what these levels are exactly in the Giant app, and adjust them to a degree.
So, you cannot expect to be in level 1 or 2 on flats/minor inclines and have the motor assist you more and more as the incline increases. It's up to you to switch to 3, 4, or 5 manually to get the correct amount of assist for the situation.
Auto mode incorporates the sensor that sees "incline" along with torque etc. and then automatically chooses the assist level on the fly. No other level/mode does that.
I don't use auto either, not a fan, so I am switching the assist levels manually all the time.

Atebit

Aug 13, 2024
PA
Each level of assist (of 5) will only provide "X" amount of assist.
So for example in level 1 it is only going to add 50% of your effort or so. Can't remember the exact amounts for each level.
Level 2 will provide 100%, level 3 at 175% etc.
You can see what these levels are exactly in the Giant app, and adjust them to a degree.
So, you cannot expect to be in level 1 or 2 on flats/minor inclines and have the motor assist you more and more as the incline increases. It's up to you to switch to 3, 4, or 5 manually to get the correct amount of assist for the situation.
Auto mode incorporates the sensor that sees "incline" along with torque etc. and then automatically chooses the assist level on the fly. No other level/mode does that.
I don't use auto either, not a fan, so I am switching the assist levels manually all the time.
Understood. But even in say level 4 or five, sometimes there’s just nothing there even though I’m pedaling hard. But as soon as the hills done , the motor’s ready to “help out” again. I guess it’s just me.

Ideally, Auto is what I want but as we know so it’s not very tunable…

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Understood. But even in say level 4 or five, sometimes there’s just nothing there even though I’m pedaling hard. But as soon as the hills done , the motor’s ready to “help out” again. I guess it’s just me.

Ideally, Auto is what I want but as we know so it’s not very tunable…
Ah, OK. Sounds like you may need to increase your cadence as @jeanmarc alluded to above perhaps.
Same thing happens on my Stance if my gearing is wrong.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles