Topping up tubeless tyres

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I got my new bike back in September and asked for it to be fitted with tubeless tyres. I understand that it is recommended that the fluid be topped up at least once a year so I have a few questions. Should I be considering topping up now, 6 months later? Should I be using the same brand of fluid? How much fluid should I use?

Al

16vdady

Feb 6, 2021
Ramsgate
I got my new bike back in September and asked for it to be fitted with tubeless tyres. I understand that it is recommended that the fluid be topped up at least once a year so I have a few questions. Should I be considering topping up now, 6 months later? Should I be using the same brand of fluid? How much fluid should I use?

Al
I am also new to tubeless. I was told to always keep to the same brand as they can react if different brands are used. Top up every 6 months. Better too much than too little ?

tobster

Apr 3, 2020
Oxford
I noticed that when i removed the tyre to replace it that there was hardly any sealant left in the old tyre. I was a bit surprised. I wonder where the ~100ml sealant went as i had had no visible punctures.....

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Most sealants comprise latex plus a carrier fluid. These components separate over time with the latex bonding to the inside of the tyre and the carrier fluid evaporating ( temperature dependant).
I top up every 3/4 months ( using Stans). Best way to check there is still some sealant in the tyre is to remove the wheel and shake it. You should be able to hear the sealant. Alternatively you can remove the valve, rotate it to 6 oclock and use a zip tie or similar as a dipstick.
I initially put 100ml in a 2.4/29 tyre and assuming I can still hear sealant in the tyre I top up with 30ml.
If you do not know what sealant was originally used it is probably best to empty whatever is left before putting new sealant in.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Thanks for the advice. I checked with the shop where I had the tyres fitted and they confirmed that they used "Stans" so I've ordered a couple of top up bottles and a valve core remover. Looks easy enough.

Al

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles