Tonsheng like cheese

Bazza156

Nov 7, 2020
Swansea
I bought a 250w tongsheng and done about 1000km then I had lots of play on chainwheel so I got a new sprag clutch under warranty. I put in on but its so hard to pedal even on highest assist and when I do give it lots of pedal power it slips really bad. Also still had lots of play in chainwheel. This is my second tongsheng that this has happend to, bloody sick of it now. Fit for the bin these units are.

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
I hear you.

I owned a TSDZ2.
I loved the custom firmware and the fact that has a torque sensor but I could not cope with the very low quality of the motor.
The cranks to me where alwasy going lose (especially the left side) and the chainring had very bad flexibility.
Lovely project but definitely requires a massive redesign. It's sad to say that I doubt we will ever see a new (and better) version of the TSDZ2. That is still the only option to build a cheap ebike with a torqe sensor.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Interesting, we had at one stage 6 bikes fitted with the TSDZ2 motors, did a lot of miles in the U.K., summer and winter mud without too many problems. Never problems with the cranks or crank bearings if you did the basics of properly tightening the bolts and doing the very widely known mod of fitting 2 additional RS bearings. Never ever broke a crank which was largely myth. The chain ring appears loose but is actually part of the design of the large sprag bearing, when the bearing locks, it takes out the movement. The slippage you talk about was one batch bearings of over filled with grease, it takes about 20 minutes to replace them with another £20.00 bearing.

The main problem was water ingress in the U.K. mud, but to be honest, something all the early motors from the major manufacturers suffered from. For about £250 where else can you get a fully torque sensitive motor, every part is available and now has a huge library of hacked firmware. Sorry but I have to disagree and for their low cost, are pretty exceptional value for money and a great way to get introduced to EBikes.

Bazza156

Nov 7, 2020
Swansea
Interesting, we had at one stage 6 bikes fitted with the TSDZ2 motors, did a lot of miles in the U.K., summer and winter mud without too many problems. Never problems with the cranks or crank bearings if you did the basics of properly tightening the bolts and doing the very widely known mod of fitting 2 additional RS bearings. Never ever broke a crank which was largely myth. The chain ring appears loose but is actually part of the design of the large sprag bearing, when the bearing locks, it takes out the movement. The slippage you talk about was one batch bearings of over filled with grease, it takes about 20 minutes to replace them with another £20.00 bearing.

The main problem was water ingress in the U.K. mud, but to be honest, something all the early motors from the major manufacturers suffered from. For about £250 where else can you get a fully torque sensitive motor, every part is available and now has a huge library of hacked firmware. Sorry but I have to disagree and for their low cost, are pretty exceptional value for money and a great way to get introduced to EBikes.
I have lot of steep hills where I live and it just gives up pretty quick, maybe fine if you live on flat areas. I have squeaking, slipping while pedalling, loose chainwheel. Ive changed sprag clutch. Water ingress has made this lot happen im sure. I think I need to strip both my motors down yet again and see what the hell is happening. Sure I need new bearings, possible a spindle and torque sensor!

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
There is something going on here which is not the norm, even here on EMTB forums there are a couple threads of very happy users of the motors. Lack of grunt sounds more like you are hitting perhaps the 15mph limit ( easily changed in the back menu on the display ), perhaps the battery is not producing the required power, there's a lot of things that can be the problem, like any EBike motor. At least with the TSDZ2 you can service and repair it yourself.

Our units were pretty good as standard but most of us went across to the OSF firmware which gave us almost infinite customisation. Mine were set at 750W's ( Not quite Brose territory but not far off ) with a couple of heat sink mods ( very easy to do ) and no I would not advise using the brass replacement gear as there is no need if the motor is set up correctly.

ES is your friend for everything TSDZ2, most of the readers here are a little dismissive of anything that doesn't cost lots of dollars and have a brand name. ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles