Tom Pidcock - MTB Gold

Kilham5

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Mar 12, 2020
North Yorkshire
How good was that.
He was so confident he had the Union Jack planned to cross the line.

Not bad for a roadie

CORVOS_00033345-018-2.jpg

Last edited:

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
What was especially satisfying was that he wasn't mentioned by the Beeb and other mainstream commentators when they talked about UK athletes.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
He's riding an unbranded BMC since he rides for INEOS & their bike partner is Pinarello. Not sure how much the way elite roadies having their bikes tailored individually translates to the MTB world but either way he also uses a Spesh Epic & a pal of mine has just bought one. It weighs as much as a bucket of wind. Incredible thing for XC mile munching.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
From BikeRadar;

Pidcock’s 29er has 100mm of travel damped by an SR Suntour Edge rear shock with a remote lockout. It’s fitted with an AXON-Werx34 Boost EQ SR Suntour fork that’s available with between 100mm and 120mm of travel. Most likely Pidcock’s bike is running the 100mm travel version of the AXON fork.

The Fourstroke is equipped with a Shimano XTR M9100 mechanical mountain bike groupset with a 12-speed cassette and single front chainring.

For the Olympic race the bike was fitted with Syncros Silverton SL wheels wrapped in prototype Continental tyres.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
MvdP was expecting the wooden ramp that had in place for practice to be left in for the race.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The commentator said that Pidcock had ridden DH. We've all done that, but it was implied that he had done so competitively. Also that he may be lured away by the Tour de France teams (money talks). Or is that all bollocks?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
He’s already signed up by Ineos and been competing in a few road races this year with good results. He also won the junior Giro last year, and was second at the world cycling cross.

He was junior world Cyclocross champion, is reigning U23 XC world champ, was junior world time trial champion, and came pretty close to winning the junior world road race IIRC.

And of course let’s not forget he’s world EMTB champion too! ?

Also quite handy on a DH bike

Last edited:

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
^^^ Nice, a perfectly balanced landing! His downhill training runs pay off.

Still, I'm not sure the wheels/tires would have survived if he weighed a gram over 50 kg (110 lb).

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
Usually, almost everyone here immediately upgrades for more suspension. Must be factory or super deluxe. That guy run those stone drops with 100-120 mm suspension. And with Suntour suspension

I appreciate it.
Yeah, but you and everyone on this forum is not him.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
The way he decimated the field and Nino Schurter with ease is incredible. Schurter has been dominant for so long.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
After crashing in the first round, I think Charlotte could teach a few athletes how a worthy champion responds to pressure.
Chapeau
Oh yeah. Make a mistake? Try your damn hardest to make up the shortfall.

or you know, just strop off in a team event ruining all their chances too, then complain about how stressful it is.
Stressful? It’s the bloody Olympics. What were you expecting?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Just out of interest, what do you think would be the most prestigious mountain bike award / competition winner?

Gold medal in Olympic XC
RedBull Hardline / Rampage winner
UCI Downhill World Champ ?

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Just out of interest, what do you think would be the most prestigious mountain bike award / competition winner?

Gold medal in Olympic XC
RedBull Hardline / Rampage winner
UCI Downhill World Champ ?
For me, it's XC for the sheer effort required to succeed at it, although weirdly it's the discipline I have the least interest in despite it being nearly all the actual riding I do. On DH, I like Warner's view - You only have to hang on for three minutes, how hard can it be? ?

Hardline is an outlier in terms of the outright lunacy of the features & an invitational, so I'm not sure you can read too much into it as an event to sort the men from the boys, you could argue BK had a distinct advantage this year as the guy who got to ride it a week before anyone else & a comparatively weak field what with Covid disruption & Gee being out.

Rampage leaves me cold, I find slopestyle stuff a bit dull in general but I reckon XC is pure competition, the best athlete generally wins.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
For me, it's XC for the sheer effort required to succeed at it, although weirdly it's the discipline I have the least interest in despite it being nearly all the actual riding I do. On DH, I like Warner's view - You only have to hang on for three minutes, how hard can it be? ?

Hardline is an outlier in terms of the outright lunacy of the features & an invitational, so I'm not sure you can read too much into it as an event to sort the men from the boys, you could argue BK had a distinct advantage this year as the guy who got to ride it a week before anyone else & a comparatively weak field what with Covid disruption & Gee being out.

Rampage leaves me cold, I find slopestyle stuff a bit dull in general but I reckon XC is pure competition, the best athlete generally wins.

Good answer. I haven’t actually seen any of the Olympics as I don’t pay for a TV licence and therefore watch any BBC or iPlayer, and it appears the BBC aren’t sharing any replays or winning edits with any other media companies, unless I just haven’t looked hard enough

An Olympic gold medal is obviously the most accepted mainstream award. You’re an instant star. When you wear your gold medal shopping at Tesco’s no doubt the general public will throw down the red carpet around the aisles. However, the Rampage trophy is only really known within the the mtb fraternity, so far less mainstream exposure. Did the BBC mention Bernard Kerr’s triple win the day before Pidcock took gold? Of course not

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles