Levo Gen 2 Tempted to mulletize my '19 ff Levo because ...

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
... because I am a 3/4 scale model of a human being. 28" inseam and 29" tires. I watched an mtb coaching video about how to hop off the back of the bike if you need to bail before a feature. This option never occurred to me, so yesterday I simulated an off-the-back bail in slow motion. Even on my toes, I have negative clearance to the rear tire. Any bounce would be quite painful to the dangly bits!

So I guess I'll try the trendy mullet thing for a very non-trendy reason. :cool:

Those of you who have made this change to a gen 2 ff Levo, is there anything I should know before diving in?

Last edited:

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I don't have a levo. But this is generic mulleting into.

You will drop the BB by 10mm. Level has 27mm bb drop already which will make you BB quite low. So considering if the bb/cranks will be too low by dropping by 10mm is the major consideration.

You also reduce wheel circumference so you will need to get the motor firmware adapted to the smaller wheel size or your engine cut off will be reduce by a km or so because the bike will think its going faster than it is.

Head angle slackens by 1°. That is most likely a good thing because it looks like 19 levo has a steepish head angle to begin with.

Or you could consider its time to upgrade to a new bike thats already mullet.
One thing is certain. You will get better steep riding clearance and maneuverability.
The disadvantage is that 27.5 hold up more on sharp edges live roots and rocks. Its not by much. But you do notice that 27.5 not rolling over stuff as easily and full 29 front and rear.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Well, the 27.5 wheel and Assegai are both due Friday. The wheel is built to the same spec as my current 29. DT Swiss 511 rim, 32 spokes, Hydra hub. I'll report back after my weekend ride. I've only ridden my 29er Levo for the past 4 years, so this will be an interesting test. Will an average trails rider (me) notice the difference?

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
I mulletize my gen2 Levo. It was easier to turn on berms and gave more confidence on jumps, but I mainly ride rooty and rocky trails and roll over was not so good than full 29” so I went back to that. And bought Status 160 for bike park riding 😀. Few hints: Go for shorter cranks, I went with 155mm Hopes and kept them on with full 29” and love them. And ask LSB to change rear tire diameter to 27.5” otherwise you don`t get full speed 😀

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles