Tall guy and a rail???

Aberfoyle

Jun 5, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I'm 6'4.5" tall with a 35.5" inseam. I would like to buy a Rail 9.8 or 9.9 if it will be an ok fit. At my height I can't expect a perfect fit although my Santa Cruz Tallboy seems pretty good, but time for an e-bike.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
My son in law is tall he rides an Xl Scott ransom , and has struggled on many bikes in the past for enough room . he commented on how the treks felt a lot like his Scott and was a bike he would consider . He even rides my medium without too much trouble.

Aberfoyle

Jun 5, 2019
Ontario, Canada
My son in law is tall he rides an Xl Scott ransom , and has struggled on many bikes in the past for enough room . he commented on how the treks felt a lot like his Scott and was a bike he would consider . He even rides my medium without too much trouble.
Thanks Kernow, that is encouraging. Rob of "Rob Rides" rides a Trek and I'm only 1.5 inches taller so I may take the plunge. Cheers

Aberfoyle

Jun 5, 2019
Ontario, Canada
i'm 6'2 on an XL and don't find it that big.
I tested an XL Lapierre GLP2, and the reach was 2cm more (but i don't want no mullet).
S5 kenevo could be good also.
Thanks for replying GrandesRoues. So, is the XL too small for you? Are you sorry you bought the Trek? I considered the Kenevo but would like a 29er. The reach on my Santa Cruz Tallboy is only 6-10mm longer than the XL Trek so I'm hoping I will be ok on the Trek.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Thanks Kernow, that is encouraging. Rob of "Rob Rides" rides a Trek and I'm only 1.5 inches taller so I may take the plunge. Cheers
Rob is the guy to ask then , I forgot about his trek . Also gotta look at what length stem they are using , and bar rise I guess .

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
Thanks for replying GrandesRoues. So, is the XL too small for you? Are you sorry you bought the Trek? I considered the Kenevo but would like a 29er. The reach on my Santa Cruz Tallboy is only 6-10mm longer than the XL Trek so I'm hoping I will be ok on the Trek.

I ride natural (hiking) trails in the Alps, so don't wan't a too long bike. Here it's steep, slow, rugged and lots of switchbacks. My Rail il already longer than my classical bike (XL remedy 29), and it's very good, i'm faster and more confortable with it in the technical bits.
Geometry wise, the main defect i see in the Rail is that the saddle angle is too shallow for step climbs. I have my saddle all the way forward.
With the motor, i use more direct and steeper climbs to reach the summit, climbs i can't ride on the regular bike. This was also the reason i didn't choose the Lapierre, as i felt the small wheel wouldn't prevent front end lift as much as a 29".

Aberfoyle

Jun 5, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Riding in the Alps must be beautiful. I read single track in forested areas with short steep climbs which I can no longer do on my regular bike. I'll compare the geometry of the trek with the tallboy more fully and not just the reach.

hopperdirtbag

Apr 28, 2021
Aliso Viejo, CA
Pretty funny - I'm exactly 6'4.5" as well with about a 35-36" inseam too. I just bought an XL Rail 9.7 and I love it. I had been riding an XL Yeti SB150 which fit me like a glove and the XL Rail is almost the exact same dimensions (wheelbase is within 1 cm, same travel now that I have a 170mm Fox 38 on my Rail, 150mm in the back, 29er, etc.)

Are you able to demo one for a couple days? Most good shops will let you put any demo costs toward the purchase if you end up buying. I bet you will.

BTW - the Rail is more of an Enduro bike than a Tallboy or a Levo (which is a good thing for me) - it will be slacker and longer wheelbase.

Aberfoyle

Jun 5, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Pretty funny - I'm exactly 6'4.5" as well with about a 35-36" inseam too. I just bought an XL Rail 9.7 and I love it. I had been riding an XL Yeti SB150 which fit me like a glove and the XL Rail is almost the exact same dimensions (wheelbase is within 1 cm, same travel now that I have a 170mm Fox 38 on my Rail, 150mm in the back, 29er, etc.)

Are you able to demo one for a couple days? Most good shops will let you put any demo costs toward the purchase if you end up buying. I bet you will.

BTW - the Rail is more of an Enduro bike than a Tallboy or a Levo (which is a good thing for me) - it will be slacker and longer wheelbase.
Excellent! Glad to hear from a guy my size. I can't demo the 9.7 as all the shops are out of bikes and the expected delivery of the 9.7 is next February. But after hearing from you and other tall guys I will replace my order. Thanks.

acmcdonaldgp

Jun 21, 2020
AB
You can add me to the club....I’m 6’6” with a 36” inseam and 36” sleeve length. I’ve been on an XL Rail 9.7 for a year. It fits me perfectly, without any more modification than moving the seat back a bit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles