Swapping out dropper post lever

Ian222

Oct 19, 2021
England
Ok so I have m4100 shimano brakes with the attached dropper post lever, is this possible to take off completely and use a clamp style lever? Want to change out for a wolf or pnw one.

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Yes...you can use any dropper lever you want...I have the PNW lever, it's really nice to use...you should be able to mount it to your brake too, unless you prefer to have it on your bars? What dropper do you have ?

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
You can mount any dropper lever to the brake clamp if it has Shimano I-Spec EV support. That or separate clamp.

What are hoping to gain by switching the lever? The shimano lever is one of the best out there... The position adjustment range is determined by the brake clamp, not the dropper lever, if it's I-spec ev mounted.

Kamill

Apr 20, 2022
Massachusetts
When you order a PNW dropper lever you select which mount style you want and they'll send you the appropriate adapter. If you like the integrated brake lever/dropper post then go with the i-spec ev adapter, otherwise you can just select the regular clamp. I found out the hard way the PNW lever requires a bit more cable than the stock OC2 lever so keep that in mind. You can take off the cable end and cut back the cable housing but be careful not to cut all the way through to the dropper cable.

Ian222

Oct 19, 2021
England
Ok so fitted the wolf remote and now the seat doesn’t stay down. Barrel adjuster is all the way in and cable is tight in the clamp but the seat I can push down and it goes back up without pushing the lever.

Kamill

Apr 20, 2022
Massachusetts
Sounds like the cable might be pulled too tight and it's keeping the post actuated. Try undoing the bolt that pinches the inner cable to give it some slack. It doesn't need to be pulled super tight, that's what the barrel adjusters are for.

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
100% your cable is too tight. Either create some slack by loosening the pinch bolt as @Kamill suggests, or you might have to redo it with a fresh cable - you won't be able to create slack using the barrel adjuster because it's already wound all the way in. If you redo it with fresh cable have the barrel adjuster halfway so you have some adjustment. Tighten the pinch bolt but check operation before trimming your cable.

Ian222

Oct 19, 2021
England
After having a good look over it, looks like as you actuate the remote it pulls the cable but it doesn’t reset on the post end so stays open. So as you say not enough slack. I must say I did lose a couple of strains of cable as I was doing it (as in they got bunched up so I cut them off)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles