Swapping in new e8000 motor with an old firmware loaded to computer?

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
The torque sensor broke on my motor and ive bought a brand new e8000 motor from a dealer (they shipped it to me for myself to install)

My computer is stuck on a code so i cant update it. If i swap the new motor in with the old computet will i brick the motor? Or do i need a new computer to pair with a new motor?

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
If the "computer" is the display, then yes, you can replace the motor.

But it is required to configure the new motor parameters: Wheel circumference and motor angle and you need to know the values for your bike, as stored in the old motor. Your store should be able to do it for you or you may use Stunlocker Premium

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
If the "computer" is the display, then yes, you can replace the motor.

But it is required to configure the new motor parameters: Wheel circumference and motor angle and you need to know the values for your bike, as stored in the old motor. Your store should be able to do it for you or you may use Stunlocker Premium
New Shimano motors come with a 2 year warranty, even on a 4 YO bike like mine, according to Commencal. I've been reading a lot, however, about warranty claims being denied because Shimano detected STunocker use. The last post I saw about it said they never made any changes with it, they merely checked battery health because the latest version of Shimano's own eTube Project app won't do that anymore.

Anyway, I had a broken torque sensor last year didn't need to do anything to the display, which has been reading the E010 error. The system's actual "computer" is in the motor.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles