Supply chain problems in 2022?

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I've been out of the MTB loop for a decade and just ordered a new bike. Luckily it will arrive on a few weeks after many months of waiting. I've heard of other bike shops who ordered particular models being told just weeks before delivery that the models won't be available after all. Bikes are also turning up with random parts not to the original spec. Pricing for bikes currently also seem to be increasing dramatically in New Zealand - and in some cases 2.5K in a year! If bike shops and online suppliers can't get gear to sell... won't they all go out of business? What ever angle you look at the start of this trend, it's worrying.

As part of the bike shops advice- they have recommended that I buy a few spares such as brake pads, chains and cassettes as the new ride is a eBike, and parts wear out quicker. I've tried Amazon, Ebay, CRC, and local shops to see basic stable stuff like SLX and Deore, to see they are totally out of stock. Waiting times in New Zealand for these basic parts are 6-12 months currently.

I'm all for using gear until it breaks or wears out- but with shortages will it even be possible to ride without interruptions as we move into 2023? Will mid to higher specced bikes even be within most peoples price range? I guess it is truly the case of buy that dream bike NOW as in 6 months it will be to expensive!

Interesting times. Thoughts?

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
As part of the bike shops advice- they have recommended that I buy a few spares such as brake pads, chains and cassettes as the new ride is a eBike, and parts wear out quicker. I've tried Amazon, Ebay, CRC, and local shops to see basic stable stuff like SLX and Deore, to see they are totally out of stock. Waiting times in New Zealand for these basic parts are 6-12 months currently.

I'm all for using gear until it breaks or wears out- but with shortages will it even be possible to ride without interruptions as we move into 2023? Will mid to higher specced bikes even be within most peoples price range? I guess it is truly the case of buy that dream bike NOW as in 6 months it will be to expensive!

Interesting times. Thoughts?

I’ll address your thoughts in 2 parts you only have to look overseas to see prices for ebikes are only going up. Buy now before it goes up for sure. Stock shortages will not end in 2023 so we have a long way to go yet.

As for parts that’s laughable. Nothing is out of stock except maybe derailleurs but you won’t need a new one unless you break it.

Nearly everything you asked about is in stock in NZ. Shimano chains 6100 deore, 7100 SLX and 8100 xt all in stock in NZ now. Shimano cassettes 12 speed deore, SLX and XT all in stock. Brake pads all in stock. Instead of Amazon (lol) and CRC. Try the real NZ websites like MTBdirect, Burkes, Pushys, evocycles, T7 and plenty of others. FWIW CRC shouldn’t send shimano to NZ (licensing issues) and similar with some Amazon suppliers.

You can find 95% of what you need/want locally though.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I’ll address your thoughts in 2 parts you only have to look overseas to see prices for ebikes are only going up. Buy now before it goes up for sure. Stock shortages will not end in 2023 so we have a long way to go yet.

As for parts that’s laughable. Nothing is out of stock except maybe derailleurs but you won’t need a new one unless you break it.

Nearly everything you asked about is in stock in NZ. Shimano chains 6100 deore, 7100 SLX and 8100 xt all in stock in NZ now. Shimano cassettes 12 speed deore, SLX and XT all in stock. Brake pads all in stock. Instead of Amazon (lol) and CRC. Try the real NZ websites like MTBdirect, Burkes, Pushys, evocycles, T7 and plenty of others. FWIW CRC shouldn’t send shimano to NZ (licensing issues) and similar with some Amazon suppliers.

You can find 95% of what you need/want locally though.
Thanks. I've taken a look at the local sites and bike shops and they are out of stock mostly.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I just checked all those things in 5 mins all in stock. Tell me what you want to buy and I’ll post you links in stock.
Oh ok. I must be doing it wrong. Local bakeshop was telling me about the 6-12 month delays just yesterday. I'm after XT or SLX cassette 10-51T, 12-speed and matching chain. Also XT sintered brake pads.

Cheers!

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
XT Chain

SLX Chain

XT Cassette

SLX Cassette

I presume you have M8100 XT Brakes but I'll post 2 and 4 pot metal pads

M8100
J04C w/FIN Metal Brake Pad BR-M9000 (FINNED)
M8120
Shimano N04C BR-M9120/M8120 Disc Brake Pads / Metal (w/Fin) (FINNED)

Hope that helps, plenty of stock in NZ but don't sleep stuff does sell out from time to time

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
XT Chain

SLX Chain

XT Cassette

SLX Cassette

I presume you have M8100 XT Brakes but I'll post 2 and 4 pot metal pads

M8100
J04C w/FIN Metal Brake Pad BR-M9000 (FINNED)
M8120
Shimano N04C BR-M9120/M8120 Disc Brake Pads / Metal (w/Fin) (FINNED)

Hope that helps, plenty of stock in NZ but don't sleep stuff does sell out from time to time
Thank you sir ! 🤓

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles