STunlocker - Safe to use?

TEE

Feb 21, 2021
Germany
I am thinking about using the STunlocker app to adjust my tire circumference.
On my EP8 Commencal put the wrong numbers into the motor configuration so now the motor stopps supporting on 18km/h.

The problem is that the Adapter for the PCE1 is out of stock and it will take atleast 1-2 months for shimano to ship them.
And i dont want to wait that long.

So there are a few apps which provide the option to change the tire size my questions are
1. are there better alternatives than STunlocker?
2. is it safe to use that app? I dont really trust that app for obvious reasons. Ive read that some people had issues shortly after using the app and their motor stopped working. So are there any people here who can confirm that issues might occur? Or does it shorten the lifespan of the motor?

Thanks in advance.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I use it but not to derestrict, only to change the parameters on the motors in our Meridas.

Seems fine.

There is a big thread on the app on site - a quick search will show you it...

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
There's a whole thread on it in the Shimano section.

I've used it and its great, although not with the EP8.

I think most of the people who are blaming failures on the app are just associating a normal failure with the fact they have recently used the app, rather than it being an actual cause. Derestricting the bike will cause more wear on the motor though, as its being used harder. This isn't the fault of the app though.

dcpatters

Mar 11, 2021
Southern California
I've used STunlocker on my SC Bullit. Works great for fine tuning motor assist and power output. The app developer responded quickly via email for any questions I had. In may case, it was necessary to downgrade the F/W but the instructions provided were straight forward and simple to complete. Overall very pleased.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
I have used stunlocker without any problem , it is super easy to connect to the bike and then change different settings, the creator of stunlocker @vadII is here often on this forum and he is super helpful if it is any problems.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I'm using with both an E8000 and EP8 motor and works fine for changing parameters as I said above. Note I only have the basic license, not a desrestriction one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles