STunlocker on 2022 Rise question

hilbil-E-bikr

Sep 7, 2021
Alabama USA
I’m thinking of using STunlocker on my ‘22 Rise H15 (540 wh battery). I’d like to set up profile 1 with the standard Rise settings (60 nm max) and have profile 2 with settings closer to full ep8 power (85 nm or close to it). If I understand correctly maximum wattage setting cannot be setup per profile. It appears I would have to set max wattage for the motor to accommodate full power, say 250, 350, 500 or something similar. My question is how would this wattage setting affect ride characteristics and battery life when using profile 1 with the standard Rise 60nm max assist settings?

Roaming50

Jun 28, 2024
Wisconsin, USA
I have just done the same but I haven't put it into a full ride yet but in testing it seems good. I typically only ride the one profile and had it set up as eco 33NM, trail 47NM and Boost 60NM. My intent was to unlock some power for shorter boost sessions using 85NM and the full 500w for when I REALLY need it. I don't expect to use it much as I don't use boost all that much anyway today at 60NM. I had some concern on what this might do to the 540wh battery (currently at 41 full cycles and 100% health after 2,500+ miles and 2 years) so I wanted regular settings to be somewhat close to before.

My goal. Profile 1 to be similar to stock with boost up to 60NM. Profile 2 to go full power with eco similar to prior trail and trail closer to boost.

Stock, power is:
eco 150w
trail 250w
boost 350w

I changed power to be:
eco 200w
trail 350w
boost 500w

I did some calculations on how I might do this.
Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 4.52.36 PM.png

Basically I have (All at 5/5 assist start):

Profile #1
eco - assist 2/10 (40%) - 20NM
trail - assist 4/10 (100%) - 34NM
boost - assist 6/10 (190%) - 49NM

Profile #2
eco - assist 3/10 (70%) - 34NM
trail - assist 6/10 (190%) - 56NM
boost - assist 10/10 (400%) - 85NM

I see myself using profile 1 on flatter terrain and shifting between trail and boost but I would have eco to fall back on for really long rides. For shorter, hillier terrain I can use profile 2 and run mostly eco or trail, with boost for those - I really need it moments.

In preliminary testing it feels pretty good but will adjust as I get used to it and determine my real needs. I agree though it would be nice if we could limit power between the tow profiles so that profile 1 was more the "rs" tune and profile 2 more unrestricted.

Last edited:

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Just bear in mind that if you use STunlocker on a motor with warranty and change any parameters, Shimano will NOT honour its warranty, even though you are using it within the parameters designed for the bike and by Shimano.

My motor is well out of warranty now but at the last service, my LBS noticed a bit of play in the bearings and offered to send it to Madison in the UK to see about an exchange (costed at about £350). I said send it. Bearing in mind I use STUNLOCKER to reset the circumference to something more accurate than Shimano default.

Firstly, the said the bearings were within tolerance so no exchange, then they said parameters were not standard so third party software was in use and would void the warranty.

This bike has never been unlocked, I just use the software to tweak the circumference and adjust the power profiles within Shimano's and Orbea's shipped settings.

Wrong by Shimano on so many levels...

hilbil-E-bikr

Sep 7, 2021
Alabama USA
This does seem wrong if you’re keeping the motor within Shimano specs. Also odd because people have posted that their LBS have programmed the Rise to stock ep8 85nm settings, apparently with shimano’s ok.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Just bear in mind that if you use STunlocker on a motor with warranty and change any parameters, Shimano will NOT honour its warranty, even though you are using it within the parameters designed for the bike and by Shimano.

My motor is well out of warranty now but at the last service, my LBS noticed a bit of play in the bearings and offered to send it to Madison in the UK to see about an exchange (costed at about £350). I said send it. Bearing in mind I use STUNLOCKER to reset the circumference to something more accurate than Shimano default.

Firstly, the said the bearings were within tolerance so no exchange, then they said parameters were not standard so third party software was in use and would void the warranty.

This bike has never been unlocked, I just use the software to tweak the circumference and adjust the power profiles within Shimano's and Orbea's shipped settings.

Wrong by Shimano on so many levels...
Did you reset the settings to factory before sending it in?

Borbea

Nov 13, 2022
Sweden
Did you reset the settings to factory before sending it in?
How to reset to factory settings? Mine in US mode (from EU), but not able to connect to motor with E-tube 5.0.2 anymore and downgrade. Is this due to EP800 fw 4.2.0? Did Shimano find a way to block this trick?

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I didn't because that wasn't what it was going in for. Will do if it ever goes in for anything motor related.

Mine is long out of warranty now...

mikegarf

May 2, 2023
Manchester
Hi Guys
What exactly is needed in order to use STunlocker on an EP8 RS motor?
Is it a PC app or can it be used with a phone. What cables etc are required. Is it free to use etc? Any help would be appreciated.
I would love to be able to set mine up with the US settings for starters now that it's out of warranty.

Cheers
Mike

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles