Levo Gen 2 Street tuned motor?

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
After latest motor change on my 2018 Levo I did not think it had the same power as before. I have trouble keeping the pace, especially uphill, with my friends who ride 2018 and 2019 Levo. On analogue bike I am stronger than them.

Today whenI changed the wire and housing for the dropper post I saw the sticker “Street tuned” on the motor. What does that mean? Not what I would like on a MTB ?

BA35EA78-4813-4CF0-9F6D-413AE28D4FFF.jpeg

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
I think the Street tuned motor is the 1.2 or 1.2E motor so will have less power than the 1.3 trail tuned motor

These motors came on the gen 1 Kenevo and can be found in the Vado

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
Hmmm, that is not good. Is it possible to see from the Mission control info if it is a 1.2 or 1.3 motor?

247AFCEC-D9A3-437F-B2EC-66B968FC6BB5_1_201_a.jpeg

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
According to other threads on this forum yours is the 1.3 motor as the serial number begins C9727

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
Thanks, that seems right. Found the text below on Specialized's site. Do not really know what it means but I want a trail tuned motor!

TUNED FOR THE RIDE

For all of our Specialized Motors, we extended the ideology of our tried-and-true Rx Trail Tune to the possible motor characteristics. This places an emphasis on customizing the motor tune in accordance to the intended ride experience, so you'll always get the most out of your ride.Take our e-mountain bikes for example: We knew that traction is paramount to the trail experience, and likewise, essential to the motor's tune. Too powerful, and traction is lost. Too passive, and the performance is degraded. Rx Trail Tune, however, allows you to operate in the sweet spot and have a thoroughly intuitive feel and ride quality. More importantly, it's all up to you.

You'll find that the same ideology was expressed in the development of our Rx Street Tune, only with urban specificity in mind.

Turbo Technology | Specialized.com

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
Now I have compared extensively with my friend's same model 2018 and other friend's 2019. We have tried with support/power at 45/100 and 100/100 going uphill and switched bikes back and forth. For the one that has my bike there is no way to keep up with the others, it does not have nearly the same power.

Also checked the current with the Mission Control app and it is 19.60 A at max (battery had about 25% charge left) so that does not seem to be the problem.

@Specialized Rider Care Would really like your input to this!

JSQ

Jan 28, 2020
Finland
The street tuned motor has only 50 nm torque. Specialized seem to send out these when they offer assisted purchases. Probably wrong partnumber in their system because our shop just received two of them for an old Levo and first generation Kenevo. We are obviously not going to mount them on the customers bikes. Shame that your LBS didn't check first :(

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
After latest motor change on my 2018 Levo I did not think it had the same power as before. I have trouble keeping the pace, especially uphill, with my friends who ride 2018 and 2019 Levo. On analogue bike I am stronger than them.

Today whenI changed the wire and housing for the dropper post I saw the sticker “Street tuned” on the motor. What does that mean? Not what I would like on a MTB ?

Hi @magnil - hmmm interesting question. As others have pointed out, the motor C9727xxxxx is a 1.3 and the correct motor for your 2018 Levo. The sticker saying "street tuned" probably means that this motor was destined for a Vado originally - the overall power is the same but power curves are governed by firmware and are a little different between Vado & Levo. Was this a warranty motor replaced by an authorised retailer? If so and it was fitted to the bike in the last 9 months or so I would guess that the firmware was not updated when the replacement was done (the latest Specialized motor firmware for your bike is 7.1.0).

The sticker is just a sticker, but it is important to be sure the firmware is correct for your bike and to rule this out as a problem. My recommendation is that you take the bike back to the retailer and ask them to run a battery and motor firmware update for you - if you then still experience a problem I would check (and reset) all Mission Control tuning.

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
Thanks for your answer @Specialized Rider Care . Since I had a LOT of problems with the bike changing motors, cables and battery not charging to 100% LBS sent it to Specialized EU Headquarter in Netherlands late november (Spec recieved it 26/11) and they changed the motor and the cable that time. Motor FW is 5.0.4, same as previous motor that had full power.

When I got it back I felt the power was not as good as before. Sometimes it also shuts of power totally for about a second, mostly while under much load (but realize now that it does it even with little load but you do not feel it as much). Battery still only charges to 96% as it has been since it was new. Does not last as long as friends battery. At first LBS said it could take ten charges before it reaches 100%. When it still did not charge to 100% they contacted Spec that said it could take a year before it charges to 100 %. When it was sent to Spec in november they said it was normal that it only charges to 96% . . .

Have not used it much since I got it back, does not feel as funny anymore with problems and low power but now I really want to start use e-bike again. It is soon two years since I bought it so soon out of warranty. This does not feel alright to me as I bought a new bike that had to be at the workshop a lot of the time and still does not work properly.

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
The street tuned motor has only 50 nm torque. Specialized seem to send out these when they offer assisted purchases. Probably wrong partnumber in their system because our shop just received two of them for an old Levo and first generation Kenevo. We are obviously not going to mount them on the customers bikes. Shame that your LBS didn't check first :(

@JSQ missed your answer. This could be the problem but seems like Vado has different motors across the range? What really bugs me is that it uses 19.60 amps and still does not have full power.

Can not blame LBS as last motor change was at Specialized European Headquarter...

Bille

Aug 21, 2020
US
The street tuned motor has only 50 nm torque. Specialized seem to send out these when they offer assisted purchases.
Is it also true the C9792 motor that is installed in a 2020 Como 5.0 has only 50 nm? Specialized's website lists specs for that bike at 90nm.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles