Apr 22, 2024
Bay Area, CA
Product Image:
IMG_1398.jpeg

IMG_1398.jpeg

Product name: SRAM AXS Pod Rocker Upgrade
Price paid: $22 Per Side
Score (out of 10): 9

Review: The original Pod button setup never really bothered me as much as it did some but it also never felt exactly comfortable either. The new Pod Rocker paddles are a huge improvement to a problem that I didn’t realize that I had as I couldn’t put my finger on what the issue was that had me often hitting the wrong button.

IMG_1398.jpeg

Install was a breeze but cockpit setup took some thinking and testing to get the Rockers in the right place. I use a right/down, left/up shift on the “triggers” (top button) and dropper post left/right on the bottom button.

I just took them out for a spin and would honestly give these a 10 out of 10 except that SRAM is making money off fixing a bad design choice thru this upgrade (not like it’s the first time so I don’t know why I bother to bitch about it).

Bottom line, if you run the AXS Pods, you’ll want to get a set of these (you have to buy left and right Rockers) as they really improve the ergos and shifting experience.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Product Image: View attachment 145839
View attachment 145840

Product name: SRAM AXS Pod Rocker Upgrade
Price paid: $22 Per Side
Score (out of 10): 9

Review: The original Pod button setup never really bothered me as much as it did some but it also never felt exactly comfortable either. The new Pod Rocker paddles are a huge improvement to a problem that I didn’t realize that I had as I couldn’t put my finger on what the issue was that had me often hitting the wrong button.

View attachment 145840

Install was a breeze but cockpit setup took some thinking and testing to get the Rockers in the right place. I use a right/down, left/up shift on the “triggers” (top button) and dropper post left/right on the bottom button.

I just took them out for a spin and would honestly give these a 10 out of 10 except that SRAM is making money off fixing a bad design choice thru this upgrade (not like it’s the first time so I don’t know why I bother to bitch about it).

Bottom line, if you run the AXS Pods, you’ll want to get a set of these (you have to buy left and right Rockers) as they really improve the ergos and shifting experience.
I tried this “upgrade” (as did my son) and we both found it to be a poorly thought out design intended to mimic the earlier Sram shifters. Unless you have a freakishly long index finger the small extension tab is useless without rotating your grip position far forward to a position (look at the pics from Aruthusta), additionally the top paddle position is at angle where you’re using the top edge to depress or moving your grip to reach the textured flat portion of paddle. The bottom shift paddle is the only one in a position to be easily activated without hand movement. Everyone’s different but 2 out of 2 of us call failure here on Sram’s part.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I agree that the upgrade is a big improvement over the original, but I never felt it was perfect. The Transmission style shifter, though, is way better. It's just up and down, with no fancy angles. You can rotate it far enough that your thumb can hit both switches without having to alter your grip. At two Benjamins, I can't say whether it would be worth it to upgrade from a regular AXS. For that matter, I don't know if the Transmission style is compatible with the old AXS style.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I agree that the upgrade is a big improvement over the original, but I never felt it was perfect. The Transmission style shifter, though, is way better. It's just up and down, with no fancy angles. You can rotate it far enough that your thumb can hit both switches without having to alter your grip. At two Benjamins, I can't say whether it would be worth it to upgrade from a regular AXS. For that matter, I don't know if the Transmission style is compatible with the old AXS style.
Just a heads-up, we do find on our new T-Type shifter pod (one Ultimate, one GX) that the Ultimate has better tactile feel with choice for convex or concave rubberized button faces vs GX flat plastic button face.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I tried this “upgrade” (as did my son) and we both found it to be a poorly thought out design intended to mimic the earlier Sram shifters. Unless you have a freakishly long index finger the small extension tab is useless without rotating your grip position far forward to a position (look at the pics from Aruthusta), additionally the top paddle position is at angle where you’re using the top edge to depress or moving your grip to reach the textured flat portion of paddle. The bottom shift paddle is the only one in a position to be easily activated without hand movement. Everyone’s different but 2 out of 2 of us call failure here on Sram’s part.
My bad… I didn’t catch detail in post, I’m referring to the recently released switch cover “update” for the T-Type pod shifter.

GolfChick

May 16, 2019
UK
Do we know when the upgrade is due in the UK? My new levo sl has the pod type and it sucks in comparison to the upgraded older generation. With the matchmaker attachment I can’t get the angle right at all and have to move my hand every time and I hate the flat design. Tempted to just buy a new pod shifter with rocker paddle and bar mount so I have more choice of position.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Do we know when the upgrade is due in the UK? My new levo sl has the pod type and it sucks in comparison to the upgraded older generation. With the matchmaker attachment I can’t get the angle right at all and have to move my hand every time and I hate the flat design. Tempted to just buy a new pod shifter with rocker paddle and bar mount so I have more choice of position.
Looks like it’s been available, just out of stock… had same issue USA until about 2 weeks ago.

Arethustra

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2024
Bay Area, CA
lol, I don’t have freakishly long fingers, but I do have arms so I ride with my levers at about a 45 degree angle...I run the matchmaker setup and found that I had a ton of options but the setup I like best with these is to adjust them until the little nubby is nearly parallel to my brake lever and I can just push straight down to engage the top button on the Pod (to shift) and then I only use the paddle to engage the bottom button (dropper)...this is sooooooooooo much better than with the old Pod button format. Not sure how you were trying to set yours up but that's a bummer that they didn't work for you; they were a game changer for me.

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
Installed mine today and I REALLY like the feel and function of it over the Ultimate pod buttons. I only ordered the left side because all the right side rocker paddles are on back order everywhere I’ve searched……once again, another waiting game for a bicycle part.

Last edited:

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
Back in stock @ WWC and ordered. ☑️
Riding with one rocker pod upgrade on the left side and one Ultimate button pod on the right side, made me realize how much better the rocker upgrade is for me. Looking forward to riding with them on both sides!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles