Spare parts shortages

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Big shout out for The Bike Factory ordered a chain ring yesterday and got it this morning amazing im way up the road from them .In fact i ordered three items from different shops and everything has been despatched.

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
I spoke to a local Shimano guy and the spare parts shortage seems to be very real. Ended up buying a spare rear mech, chain and cassette just in case… ?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I spoke to a local Shimano guy and the spare parts shortage seems to be very real. Ended up buying a spare rear mech, chain and cassette just in case… ?
Yes struggled to get the slx cassette I was after think it was 11 × 42 it was out of stock every where i tried ended up with a 10×46. Handy to have everything there for when you may need it.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Yep, had my bike serviced and they couldn't get a new rear cassette (SLX 10-51 12sp) so I ended up with 10-46 12sp XT on but managed to find somewhere with the correct cassettes in stock so grabbed two as my wife's bike also uses it.

LBS was quoted Feb22 for delivery!

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
XT parts were specifically mentioned by the Shimano guy - he said they are more or less sold out everywhere. I have XT in my Orbea Rise and ended up buying the SLX set as a spare.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Yep, had my bike serviced and they couldn't get a new rear cassette (SLX 10-51 12sp) so I ended up with 10-46 12sp XT on but managed to find somewhere with the correct cassettes in stock so grabbed two as my wife's bike also uses it.

LBS was quoted Feb22 for delivery!
Just got chainring, cassette and 2 chains that should last me a year hopefully.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
My LBS could not get me any Shimano XT jockey wheels for my 11-speed. I found some in Germany, but they only had five sets.
I have spares if you get stuck :

set.jpg

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I have just had a look at buying spares, can't seem to find anything. everything also looks very expensive!
Slx Cassette was £ 74 last year it was £42 .Will only get worse. Seen that new Sworks Levo £12500 get a car for that but i would never manage to lift that over a deer fence.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
You could get an RST Gila ? and buy a 1 inch steerer to go with it.
Yes I did look at them to be honest. You could get Marzochis for a while but at the time they were 300 I grudged paying that. Still ok with rst really for all it gets used. Old Alves custom bike fitted out with Campagnolia originally. Used for bagging far away Munros got a rear rack as well.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Bought a spare slx 11 speed cassette a year ago for £47, lucky to find one now for less than £75 and even then unlikely to be in stock.

at some point in the future supply will exceed demand and prices will come down.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Bought a spare slx 11 speed cassette a year ago for £47, lucky to find one now for less than £75 and even then unlikely to be in stock.

at some point in the future supply will exceed demand and prices will come down.
even last year I had to search around most were 75 ish pure chance Je James were selling at 40 odd.

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Mech hangers are my guilty sin.
The other day, I purged my LBS of all of their Specialized amazinga mech hangers.
For anyone who's ripped off their derailleur off a rock, you'll know exactly where I'm coming from ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I had to buy a chainring from Italy recently. The postage was more than the part! Then I found out I needed a cassette as well. I've been looking for one for a while with no luck so I bought one from a forum member in Prague who has upgraded after very little use. Unfortunately, it didn't arrive in time for this weekend so I went out hoping the old one would still be useable with a new chain. It wasn't. Cock! Unbelievably, Ace Cycles in Monmouth actually had a cassette in stock, which I bought (at full price, ouch!) and fitted in the boot of the car so I could ride. I half expected to get home yesterday and find the cassette from Czech on the doorstep, but sod's law wasn't in full effect and it's still not here.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I had to buy a chainring from Germany recently. The postage was more than the part! Then I found out I needed a cassette as well. I've been looking for one for a while with no luck so I bought one from a forum member in Prague who has upgraded after very little use. Unfortunately, it didn't arrive in time for this weekend so I went out hoping the old one would still be useable with a new chain. It wasn't. Cock! Unbelievably, Ace Cycles in Monmouth actually had a cassette in stock, which I bought (at full price, ouch!) and fitted in the boot of the car so I could ride. I half expected to get home yesterday and find the cassette from Czech on the doorstep, but sod's law wasn't in full effect and it's still

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Well that was 2 chains, cassette and chainring , all ordered Friday from 3 different places I got chainring on Saturday and other 2 things today amazing.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Mech hangers are my guilty sin.
The other day, I purged my LBS of all of their Specialized amazinga mech hangers.
For anyone who's ripped off their derailleur off a rock, you'll know exactly where I'm coming from ?
I have a unused xt 11 speed mech and shifter I was going to sell but think I will keep everything. Have someone coming to look at my 2014 Nicolai probably done 25miles since I got Levo 2 years ago but mmm might keep it as well. Keep something 7 years the saying goes.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I just finished a gravel bike build, and I had to source parts from *11* different online suppliers to get it done. It took a total of 3 weeks to get all the parts in. It was so bad that I had to get a left shifter from one place, a right shifter from another, front tire from one place, rear tire from another, and so on.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I just finished a gravel bike build, and I had to source parts from *11* different online suppliers to get it done. It took a total of 3 weeks to get all the parts in. It was so bad that I had to get a left shifter from one place, a right shifter from another, front tire from one place, rear tire from another, and so on.
Must admit i had to try 6 different places but couldn't get the cassette I wanted . Hopefully it doesn't get worse or hopefully don't need too much spares.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Must admit i had to try 6 different places but couldn't get the cassette I wanted . Hopefully it doesn't get worse or hopefully don't need too much spares.

It was also a motivation for me to standardize components across my wife and my bike(s). I keep a complete drivetrain + brakes + bottom bracket + saddle + bars + grips + tires + brake pads on hand at all times. Goal is near zero downtime.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
It was also a motivation for me to standardize components across my wife and my bike(s). I keep a complete drivetrain + brakes + bottom bracket + saddle + bars + grips + tires + brake pads on hand at all times. Goal is near zero downtime.
I can see your game you will be pilfering parts from her bike ?

MJR

May 12, 2020
USA
XT parts were specifically mentioned by the Shimano guy - he said they are more or less sold out everywhere. I have XT in my Orbea Rise and ended up buying the SLX set as a spare.
Can believe that, I just went 12spd on my Kenevo, lucked out and found an XT shifter and chain, but had to buy XTR derailleur ? and an SLX cassette. Thankfully the stuff is all interchangeable and works great, but damn, XTR is expensive

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I have a Deore 12 speed cassette here if anyone needs one. I bought it for a set of wheels I no longer use so it's going spare.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles