Solar Generators?

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I'm planning my next long van trip, and this time I have an e-bike. I am considering getting one of those "Solar generators" (basically just a big battery with an inverter) to charge the bike battery, and charge/operate a few other devices. Of course the "generators" need to be charged, which would require either finding AC from time to time or actually putting a solar panel on the roof, which is probably what I would do. Has anyone ever used one of these solar generators to charge their ebike?

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Prior to lockdown, when I went away for a weekends worth of riding, I used a 100w flexi solar panel (charge controller/leisure batteries/inverter) attached to the inside of my windscreen using threaded suction cups. I'll admit it makes driving a little hazardous, if left in place to do so, however I'm lucky enough to have a vehicle big enough, to store inside, when not in use.. Just be sure to park your vehicle, facing the sun..(y)

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
A friend has one fitted in his motor home to charge his and his wife’s bike. He has a 350 watt solar panel that feeds a leisure battery. Then a cheapo inverter (ie, not pure sine wave) connected to the leisure battery with the bike’s charger plugged into the inverter. It works perfectly and has done so for over 2 years now.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Prior to lockdown, when I went away for a weekends worth of riding, I used a 100w flexi solar panel (charge controller/leisure batteries/inverter) attached to the inside of my windscreen using threaded suction cups. I'll admit it makes driving a little hazardous, if left in place to do so, however I'm lucky enough to have a vehicle big enough, to store inside, when not in use.. Just be sure to park your vehicle, facing the sun..(y)
On first glance the flexible panels look appealing, but most of them seem to die within a few years.

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
On first glance the flexible panels look appealing, but most of them seem to die within a few years.
Things might have changed since I researched the issue thoroughly before fitting solar panels to my boat, but all the reviews and dealers then recommended rigid or semi-rigid ones for both longevity and best output. My friend’s panel is rigid and is mounted on the van’s roof where it just works quietly away when driving or parked.

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk

Technology improves.. The reasoning behind installing it inside the van, was to keep it cooler and cleaner, not scrambling upon the roof to clean etc.. Perhaps a 100w is somewhat overkill..! My flexi panel has a 15yr guarantee and as it's not exposed to the elements, i'd hope it will out last, both my leisure and eeb batteries..(y)

I will agree that glass panels produce slightly more power, however, the flex tech is closing the gap.

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
I think (maybe incorrectly) .. that @routrax had some in van charging options ?

You've got a good memory Zim!

I've got this installed in my van, with two 110ah leisure batteries and 150w flexi panel on the roof.
1590067418995.png

Charges from the engine via a voltage sensing relay (top middle black box), 240v with the blue charger on the right. I've also got a 15a victron mppt controller.
I run a fridge and charge a laptop/ebike/whatever with no difficulty in the summer.
Works pretty well, but another 150W would be a good idea in the UK.

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
Got these on the roof of my boat
1590068235392.png

800w into a Tracer mppt and a 225ah 24v battery bank (4 x 6v semi traction batteries).
This works brilliantly and runs all of my domestic electricity (fridge freezer, TV, xbox, laptop, charging ebike, etc) for about 9 months a year. In the winter I need to run a generator and charge my batteries that way.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Nice setups. I'm thinking maybe 200 watts or so of panels on top of my Ford Econoline running into something like a Jackery or Bluetti solar generator. The most complicated part of the install would be mounting the panels onto a roof rack. I like the idea of charging from the engine, but don't think I'll be driving enough on the average day to keep the batteries topped off. In addition to charging the ebike I'll want to charge my other devices and maybe run some small appliances a little. I may eventually want to add a DC powered refrigerator, too, but for now make do with an ice chest.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
It might be worth looking at the travel DC Charger (if its available for your motor type) as it will be more efficient. otherwise you are converting from DC to ac and back to DC when using the inverter. each time loosing efficiency. I can't find it on the bosch site any longer..

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I wish Shimano had A DC charger. I just ordered a Jackery 1000 as they were having a Father's Day sale. Do they have that Hallmark holiday in the UK?

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
It's nice having electricity. I have a little DC refrigerator and an induction burner, and I can charge my bike and devices, too. I have solar panels, just not installed yet.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
This isn't helpful to OldGoat's van, apparently hybrid cars are very effective at recharging batteries. I was subscribed to a youtube channel for van based travelers - lots of info on solar charging, toilets, showers etc. One popular choice for nomads was to use a hybrid car and not bother with solar. I think the car's engine kicked in automatically when needed, and not for long. For example, if someone was sleeping with the air con or heating on, the engine might kick in for half an hour through the night to top up the cells.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
This isn't helpful to OldGoat's van, apparently hybrid cars are very effective at recharging batteries. I was subscribed to a youtube channel for van based travelers - lots of info on solar charging, toilets, showers etc. One popular choice for nomads was to use a hybrid car and not bother with solar. I think the car's engine kicked in automatically when needed, and not for long. For example, if someone was sleeping with the air con or heating on, the engine might kick in for half an hour through the night to top up the cells.
Yes, I have a Prius, but not good for charging anything else.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Technology improves.. The reasoning behind installing it inside the van, was to keep it cooler and cleaner, not scrambling upon the roof to clean etc.. Perhaps a 100w is somewhat overkill..! My flexi panel has a 15yr guarantee and as it's not exposed to the elements, i'd hope it will out last, both my leisure and eeb batteries..(y)

I will agree that glass panels produce slightly more power, however, the flex tech is closing the gap.
What’s the cost of this kind of setup?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Yes, I have a Prius, but not good for charging anything else.
I think they meant very economical at charging it's own batteries. So they use the battery power of the hybrid while camping (eg, charge up an ebike). The motor kicks in every now and then to keep the car's batteries topped up, or to whatever charge range they work on.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I think they meant very economical at charging it's own batteries. So they use the battery power of the hybrid while camping (eg, charge up an ebike). The motor kicks in every now and then to keep the car's batteries topped up, or to whatever charge range they work on.
Oh, you mean an inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter? I guess that would work but don't know if I would want to do that myself.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles