So my wife wants an e bike...

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Can anyone suggest anything? Hardtail would be fine looking at £1600 or under?

She really is not a hard rider or even close. Generally just a mum rider. Just been out with my daughter on back of mine and my wife on her cheapish acoustic hardtail. Anyway she really is impressed/annoyed how I fly up hills with our daughter on the back and she's literally knackerd. She was going to join a gym (even though she is fit already and only weighs 9 stone) but this was going to be £30 a month. So we said if it cost £50 a month finance but we can explore and keep fit as a family and all get fresh air then it's definitely worth it. Also our daughter loves getting out and we have so much around us. It sounds daft but with all of us getting into bikes recently it's saved us alot of money. No more just paying to go places for the sake of getting out. Bike rides and pack lunch cost nothing and everyone enjoys it and we get fit. Anyway ive left the original topic haha.

Any ideas?

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Well we do enjoy riding round our local tracks that are mainly twiggy wood paths and then gravel paths. But we would like to be able to take them to the lake District aswell. Again definitely won't be doing trails or jumps or anything above 15moh even downhill but not sure if a MTB is required

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Yes I thought this. But to be honest not much out there at the price range we are looking at. And the thought for my wife that she might buy a £1500 bike is crazy already as she literally knows nothing about bikes and just enjoys days out on them. This seemed to be a great all-rounder option. But could be wrong. Also she doesn't really like the look of the haibike and as wife's do ( atleast my wife) she expects a rainbow of colours to choose from and it could be an s works levo for 1.5k but if it wasn't a nice colour she wouldn't buy it.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Shimano motor is £900. Battery £500... good luck getting anything decent with the E8000 system for £1600... another E-Sentier Deore with BC discount? and raid the kids piggy bank for the extra £200.

TBH though if you're just bimbling about with your kid on the back and the Ebike means taking the piss out of the Mrs on the climbs I'd get a cheap normal bike like hers for family riding.

That Hibike is attrocious

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
@Bongofish me and the mrs have both got e-bikes and it’s the best money we’ve spent
I’m sure you’ll get a bike £1600 for her ,but it’s worth the stretch on money because she will love it. Good family plan you’ve got going on there ??

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
@Gary why don’t you keep your negative comments to yourself
People are wanting constructive information
Not your bullshi#t comments
He’s wanting advice not ridiculed
Go on Face book for sh#t like that.

Stefaan

Sep 24, 2018
Belgium
I think this one is a nice looking one. Popping colors. My wife likes it.

78E3BCAC-9827-448C-8FDB-C3DB4A6E3842.png

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
@Gary Have you ever spared a thought that some one reading your comments might have just spent there hard earn cash on the haibike ?
I thought this forum is for all e-bike enthusiasts at every level and a friendly place
Try to think of others that’s my point

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Is yours the right size for her? Then you upgrade to a new 2019 Vitus full suss due out soon? ?
I'm afraid not...although it may be a good thing it I could nearly guarantee on family rides she would have my e bike and I would be on her Carrera ???.

@Krisj yes mate we both agree that an e bike is alot of money (for us anyway) especially to have 2, that's over £3000 on 2 bikes on 2 months. That's alot for my little family and we've just bought our first house. I'm not meaning to be rude but sometimes feel like people in here are really picky and snotty about other people's gear. I tell everyone proudly that I have a Vitus e sentier and love it. Yes it's only a hardtail but has a great motor and puts a smile on my face. Sometimes here I really feel like if you don't have a levo or never had one your face don't fit ??. Next year though I will buy a full suspension e bike all being well. Probs not a levo though ???

@Gary E-Bikes to me are even less about hitting the trails and jumps and more about exploring and getting to places we've never been on bikes. Like today we was about 3 miles away from home letting our daughter play in woods and I couldn't care less about riding home and having fun on the way. But my wife kept saying 'i wish we didn't have the ride home to do, it's all uphill '. That would be eliminated with an e bike. Which means more family time out, not getting anxious about ride home, enjoying herself more and probably going further without thinking about the hills on way home. In my book these are all positives. I don't want to be on a cheap bike with her too and we both thinking 'i don't want to deal with them hills' especially with my 3 year old on back ????

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
No one on here is going to look down on you for the Vitus, lot of us on here own them (including Gary).

My Mrs also wants an e-bike, however she likes a traditional ladies style bike, and really liked the Cube Elly

You can pick one up for about £1500-1600

132500e_light.jpg

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
No one on here is going to look down on you for the Vitus, lot of us on here own them (including Gary).

My Mrs also wants an e-bike, however she likes a traditional ladies style bike, and really liked the Cube Elly

You can pick one up for about £1500-1600

View attachment 5520
We do alot of woods riding aswell as gravel and fire roads. This doesn't look like I would see it riding around the wiids. Again. Could be wrong. If I am that's great as she loves this style but we both worry when it may not hold up to even normal riding in the woods?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yeah i hear you on that, its not for offroading. Cube also do a good range of women specific e-mtb's

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don't want to be on a cheap bike with her too and we both thinking 'i don't want to deal with them hills' especially with my 3 year old on back
Yeah. sorry. I said. I would get a cheap normal mtb. Infact I always kept an older bike specifically for towing trailers and fitting a child seat to when mine were young enough to be carried. None of my partners have ever been cyclists so even with the extra weight of a trailer and 3 kids I was still generally quicker, had more stamina and was more comfortable than they were when we rode together. I'm not for a minute suggesting you have to do what I'd do.
On the snobbery thing. I've been riding bikes all my life and am lucky enough to be able to have as many bikes as I want and currently have loads of bikes ranging from a carbon road bike , carbon Enduro bike to race BMX, DH bikes, slopestyle bike, dirt jump and 4X bikes, an older XC bike and an E mtb etc. right now there's a 24 speed ridgeback hybrid with a rigid fork, V-brakes and full mudguards sat at my front door I use for popping to the shop/pub along exactly the sort of terrain you've described your family rides to be on. I'll happily ride anywhere on any bike to be fair. I don't look down on other cyclists for what bike they ride. I honestly don't care whether you have a Halfords Carrera/Decathlon B-Twin (I hav a B-Twin too) or a Santa Cruz Tall boy/Pinerallo Dogma. When I make fun of Fatbikes, 29ers etc. I'm not being serious.
I spent the afternoon at rhe BMX track today riding ith my daughter on her Haro race bmx and her best pal on his (at a guess) £89 catalogue BMX and apart from the odd lap spent most of my time either helping her friend with his confidence or chatting to and encouraging local kids on shitty bikes with no helmets. I was one of those kids.

Being more constructive/positive and less flippant about the Haibike you linked to earlier... it's just not great value, infact it's really poor value if put into comparison with the Sentier at only £200ish more, Eg. Far lower quality groupset all round and much cheaper/basic wheels and finishing kit (bars,stem,seatpost etc). Old skool 29er geometry. I'm sure it'd actually ride fine though.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
We did look at these but they are a while from actually coming into stick. But thank you for the links and looking ??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles