So 2 months and 200 miles in…550 error! Ffs

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
So as per the title really, been thoroughly enjoying my Trek Rail. It’s not been problem free. 2 weeks in the freehub shat itself, but otherwise it’s been great. Sadly today after a particularly minging couple of days riding I have been greeted with a 550 error message. As I understand it, it’s either a short or water ingress issue. So back to the shop I bought it from…annoyingly the only shop who could supply me a bike was Team cycles in Gateshead. 5 hours away. So it’s a case of sending the whole bike back (be a nightmare) or find a local shop in the Gloucestershire/Worcestershire area who can manage the warranty claim for me. I’m absolutely gutted, mainly because I expect this will take many weeks to bloody sort…gutted!
22959D9F-9BD5-4405-A280-986C394C2D0A.jpeg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
If it's a Bosch issue rather than a Trek issue you could try Rich Butters at Raceco Cycles.

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
If it's a Bosch issue rather than a Trek issue you could try Rich Butters at Raceco Cycles.
Yeah, my mate suggested Rich. I can’t see it being a Trek problem. I bought my Zebs from him last month, to be honest if I had to pay him to fix it rather than the hassle of sending the bike back I will. I fucking hate bikes!

wonkyconk

Mar 11, 2021
Forest of Dean
I think almost any bike shop can sort it for you.
My trek came from Shropshire but my Bosch motor was replaced in Monmouth under warranty.
Be prepared to pay labour fees as it's not covered by the warranty.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
550 An impermissible load has been detected. Remove the load. Restart the system. If the problem persists, contact your Bosch eBike dealer

Any idea what that load might be?

Zorg

May 5, 2021
I
You have any light connected to the bike battery ? (I see the light led on the kiosk is on)

Had this when a light which draws too much power was connected to the bike battery. The motor only thinks it's a short due to the amount of wattage drown.

Last edited:

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
You have any light connected to the bike battery ? (I see the light led on the kiosk is on)

Had this when a light which draws too much power was connected to the bike battery. The motor only thinks it's a short due to the amount of wattage drown.
No I don’t, I also noticed the indicator light was on. The wiring is there, but I have never used it. It’s tucked up behind the lock mechanism, if I could muster the energy to mess around with the battery rib I’d take a look, but I hate that system it’s such a faff

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
So…update! I pulled the cable for the lights, snipped the end to remove any potential water ingress and sealed properly with electrical tape. Turned bike back on and still had the error code. So I turned the bike off held the headlight button and then the power button on the Kiox. It fired up with no error code. Turned it off left for 10 minutes, turned it back on and still clear….I wonder if booting the Kiox that way clears error codes?? I’m putting everything back together and will take the bike for a spin around the block, the. Keep flicking it off and on throughout the day. Let’s see if anything changes! Still going to drop it into a Bosch service centre (probably RaceCo) once all this Christmas shit is out of the way

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Unless the battery itself develops a short, an excess load would normally be a short circuit somewhere in the CAN. It sounds to me like you had/have a short in that light cable. You removed the short which enable the light switch to turn that circuit off...hence you cleared the fault. Your problem may return because if that cable was left un terminated and got wet because the wet can track all the way down the cable, the fact that the 2 wires are themselves insultated should prevent that provide water does not track all the way down to the cables connection at the motor. Personally I would go to the motor connection for that cable and disconnect it. You will need a blanking plug for that connection though.

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
Unless the battery itself develops a short, an excess load would normally be a short circuit somewhere in the CAN. It sounds to me like you had/have a short in that light cable. You removed the short which enable the light switch to turn that circuit off...hence you cleared the fault. Your problem may return because if that cable was left un terminated and got wet because the wet can track all the way down the cable, the fact that the 2 wires are themselves insultated should prevent that provide water does not track all the way down to the cables connection at the motor. Personally I would go to the motor connection for that cable and disconnect it. You will need a blanking plug for that connection though.
It’s going in under warranty anyway, they can sort the shit. To be honest for 2 months and 200 miles the whole system isn’t fit for purpose, if a wet U.K. winter is too much for it. I don’t believe water will continue to transfer through the cabling in to the motor, the bike is kept inside so will dry out, plus it will need to continue its ingression both through 2m of cable and upwards before heading through to the motor. If indeed that was the fault, suspect it was. But that’s for an authorised repairer to sus out. A waterproof blanking plug and the wire being sacked off is the obvious solution for sure

it’s obvious though that something has shorted and as such raised an error code, much like a car EML, however it took me pushing both the headlamp and power button to process some sort of system reset. BPW Sunday, so let’s see if it’s a long term fix

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
pleased you sorted it ..............ps I know you are displeased but please back off the language...its a public forum with people of all ages free to read this stuff.

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
Bike worked faultlessly all day at BPW. Albeit it piddled down from lunch. Last night whilst packing away I turned the bike on and bam, 550 code again. So the gift to find someone who will look at under warranty begins.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles