Snapped chain help.

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
Hi all, my cube reaction pro 625 chain snapped today. Luckily I had a spare Power lock joint link which helped to get me home.
Is it okay to continue to use the bike until I can get a new chain?
Can anyone tell be what chain I need to purchase for this bike?

Thanks
Dougie

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
Hi Jay, thanks for the reply. A novice as far as chains go. Is this the chain I need and if so do I need to order a specific length of chain or do they come in one size that I cut down to size?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I had the same problem on Sunday. Snapped the chain in the middle of nowhere with no tools on me. Walked to a Halfords as it was the only place open, temporary fixed as they didn’t have any 12 speed chains in stock

It’s a 12 speed you’ll need, but I couldn’t find any in stock except £30 for another SX Eagle which will probably snap again in around 400 miles

KMC’s are meant to be good quality for e-bikes but you could be paying up to £100 for the strongest, but should get around 2k miles, so worth it if a cheap chain will only give you around 400 miles - all depends on how you ride, how heavy you are and making smooth gear changes at the right time too

Jay355

Apr 10, 2020
East Anglia
I had a 12speed SX chain on my TM, it snapped and replaced it with GX, 126 link which I cut to size.

As Tubby g said, e bike chains don't seem to last long and there are plenty of ideas on how to increase durability in the forums, Iv since replaced the GX as it got to 0.5mm wear and I am now trying a KMC e12, however this does slip occasionally in the high gears on the cassette which is clearly worn.

My advice is buy some good quality chain tools.

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
I had the same problem on Sunday. Snapped the chain in the middle of nowhere with no tools on me. Walked to a Halfords as it was the only place open, temporary fixed as they didn’t have any 12 speed chains in stock

It’s a 12 speed you’ll need, but I couldn’t find any in stock except £30 for another SX Eagle which will probably snap again in around 400 miles

KMC’s are meant to be good quality for e-bikes but you could be paying up to £100 for the strongest, but should get around 2k miles, so worth it if a cheap chain will only give you around 400 miles - all depends on how you ride, how heavy you are and making smooth gear changes at the right time too

Hi tubby thanks for your great reply. I’ve had a look and the sx eagle seems to be out of stock in the shops I’ve looked. I have managed just over 1k miles on the original chain but I mostly commute to work and gravel tracks.
I’ll have a look at the kmc and the gx as mentioned by Jay.

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
I had a 12speed SX chain on my TM, it snapped and replaced it with GX, 126 link which I cut to size.

As Tubby g said, e bike chains don't seem to last long and there are plenty of ideas on how to increase durability in the forums, Iv since replaced the GX as it got to 0.5mm wear and I am now trying a KMC e12, however this does slip occasionally in the high gears on the cassette which is clearly worn.

My advice is buy some good quality chain tools.
Thanks Jay so I’m looking for the 126 link chain. Already got the chain splitter which worked a treat today so I could attach the power link to get me home.
I’ll have a look at the kmc and gx chains and see what is available.
Thanks again.

Last edited:

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
1k miles, on an emtb chain? Ha!

I'm lucky to get 500 miles on mine, the first one snapped at 400 and the second one did 500+. Both were stretched to oblivion. This is sram 11 speed, and nx level chain.

I've just fitted a gx chain (plated outer links) which is easier to keep looking clean, but I don't expect it to last any longer.

All chains run through wet, Scottish winters.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I got 2000 miles out of the last chain on my 140. What are you guys doing, to destroy chains so quickly?!

I’ve probably jinxed myself now, so what chain tools would you guys recommend I keep in my backpack, as I don’t have any?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I got 2000 miles out of the last chain on my 140. What are you guys doing, to destroy chains so quickly?!

I’ve probably jinxed myself now, so what chain tools would you guys recommend I keep in my backpack, as I don’t have any?

The scenario where mine snapped - bottom of a steep muddy 12-14ft bank, thought to myself ‘I’ll get up there easy’ - turbo mode activated, pushed hard on the pedals, snap ?

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
The scenario where mine snapped - bottom of a steep muddy 12-14ft bank, thought to myself ‘I’ll get up there easy’ - turbo mode activated, pushed hard on the pedals, snap ?
This is exactly how my chain snapped. Turbo, muddy huge steep hills full power on pedals and snap ?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
This is exactly how my chain snapped. Turbo, muddy huge steep hills full power on pedals and snap ?

In hindsight it’s likely because I hit it from a standing start at the bottom of the bank and straight on full power, full torque, plus I’m a bit of a tubby gutster so that probably doesn’t help either!

If I was already rolling it would have been much easier on the chain but the bank was located next to a train line and we’d just climbed through a broken fence with the bikes as we were out exploring the out of reach areas no man has ever been to before ?

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
In hindsight it’s likely because I hit it from a standing start at the bottom of the bank and straight on full power, full torque, plus I’m a bit of a tubby gutster so that probably doesn’t help either!

If I was already rolling it would have been much easier on the chain but the bank was located next to a train line and we’d just climbed through a broken fence with the bikes as we were out exploring the out of reach areas no man has ever been to before ?
Same here, pushed bike over a run down narrow walk bridge then onto bike and straight into the huge climb with mud ruts and tree roots. Turbo full power from standing start.......disaster ?‍♂️
Ordered the Sram GX Eagle 12 speed. The SX lasted 1070 miles so happy with that and I couldn’t find one for sale so went for the GX. See how this one lasts then maybe try the more expensive KMC next time.

Jay355

Apr 10, 2020
East Anglia
1k miles, on an emtb chain? Ha!

I'm lucky to get 500 miles on mine, the first one snapped at 400 and the second one did 500+. Both were stretched to oblivion. This is sram 11 speed, and nx level chain.

I've just fitted a gx chain (plated outer links) which is easier to keep looking clean, but I don't expect it to last any longer.

All chains run through wet, Scottish winters.
I thought the only difference of Scottish winters and summers was the temperature of the rain. ?
I’m the same if I get 500 miles I’m happy. See another thread on here about waxing chains so I’ve brought the kit and giving it a try.
It’s early days but now matter how much I oiled and cleaned there always seemed to be some rust spots on the chain. Since Iv waxed and Teflon coated chain is spotless clean no matter what.

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
GX or NX chain will be fine. I think the SX are only OEM but its worth paying the little extra for the GX with plating anyway.
I really looked after my NX chain and it snapped after 400 miles. Wasn't worn so added another powerlink and its been good for another 200 but will be replacing it soon. I've heard of and seen plenty of new chains snapping with you stand on the cranks in the wrong gear.

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
GX or NX chain will be fine. I think the SX are only OEM but its worth paying the little extra for the GX with plating anyway.
I really looked after my NX chain and it snapped after 400 miles. Wasn't worn so added another powerlink and its been good for another 200 but will be replacing it soon. I've heard of and seen plenty of new chains snapping with you stand on the cranks in the wrong gear.
Hi, I added a power link when it snapped and lasted a couple of rides then it snapped at a different part of the chain today. I’ve ordered the GX online but as I need the bike I managed to find the NX at my local dealer and I fitted it today. I’ll keep the GX as a backup.

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
Just an update. Fitted the sram gx chain and lubed with the squirt wax. Out today and the chain was so quite and gear change was much smoother. Early days yet but going to see how I get on with the squirt wax lube.

Doug e+

Aug 22, 2020
Ayrshire
Covered just over 70 miles since new chain fitted and lubed with Squirt chain wax. Been raining most of the week and some off road trails. Chain surprisingly looked pretty clean. Washed the bike today and hosed down then run a dry rag over the chain which looks like new. So far I’m well impressed with the Squirt chain wax lube.

Last edited:

Jeffw

Mar 2, 2019
North West
Stock chain on my 2020 Stereo 160 snapped also after approx. 250 miles. I always carry spare links, so put one to get me home. I was told the stock chain is a bit 'cheap and basic', so instead ordered a KMC 12-speed (c£50) and then ordered a spare Sram Eagle 12 speed as a backup, which i leave in the car. Also carry 4 spare chain links (as its not always just me who needs one!), but i read that a spare link should never be reused, once the chain has been taken off.

After every ride, as well as a full cleandown, i run the chain through a park tool degreaser and then re-lube, wet or dry, depending on the time of year. Always seems to have helped.

I also carry the chain tool in my bag, and for ease of use, i also carry a a set of chain pliers. Makes removing and replacing a link so much easier as my sight is'nt as good as it used to be :)

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
2 riders at home going for 4 years on ebikes and no report of snap chain´s so far (shimano or Sram ). Also in our riders group don´t recall any chain snap.
Aldo I can report some derailurs and dropoff bends . So supose it´s a matter off (un)luck , terrain, ...or it´s because we ride with Qlinks in bag and no derailures or dropoff´s :alien:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles