Smart System USB Type C charge port accessory?

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
Are there any handlebar mount aftermarket charger ports that I could add to my new Whyte to prevent my phone from dying on long trips using GPS/tracking?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you have a Kiox display there's a port on it you can use to charge your phone. Needs a special cable.
thats a Kiox...not the Kiox 300. Kiox 300 has no USB port. The LED Remote has a USB port but it cannot be used to charge another device either.

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
If you have a Kiox display there's a port on it you can use to charge your phone. Needs a special cable.
Pretty pricey for a charger port- are there any aftermarket adapters that hook to a motor light port or perhaps actual front light with USB output?
Think 12V to 5v converter with a Bosch motor plug at one end and a bar mounted USB at the other end with rubber waterproof cover.
Ali express may sell such but it would be nice to know if someone else has tried one that works.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
thats a Kiox...not the Kiox 300. Kiox 300 has no USB port. The LED Remote has a USB port but it cannot be used to charge another device either.

Not having a Kiox 300 I could only confirm that the Kiox display does indeed have such a port (which I use from time to time).

Last edited:

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
The Bosch Smart PHone Grip has wireless charging if your phone supports it.
if not it has a USB output

for mine I use an amazn basics cable which is the perfect length

Amazon Basics USB Type-C to Micro-B 2.0 Cable - 15.2 cm - Black"​

Btw if you don't have any kiox etc already as well as the Bosch Smart Phone Grip you will need
one of these
  • 31.8 mm (BDS3620)
  • 35.0 mm (BDS3630)
Your bars 35mm if it's an e-160/180 I got mine from Bosch Aftermarket Kit The Smart System and the Smart Phone Grip from ebay.

it's kinda expensive something like £80 total for both parts just to mount a phone, but it does work great and holds the phone really secure.
Really easy to fit and cheaper than upgrading from no display to a kiox, also flow on your phone is better than a kiox.

It's as simple as

1) Attach mount to handlebar
2) Pull cable from the Bosch Remote on your bars and connect it into the new Mount
3) The new mount comes with a new cable that Connects between the mount and the Bosch Remote.
4) plug the Bosch Smart Phone Grip onto the new mount.
5) attach phone.

Literally that simple, if you can attach a bell to your bars you can do the above. the cables literally just pull out without any tools and push in without any tools

Last edited:

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
Thanks Ark, I think this solution will work nicely for my Iphone 12 Mini.

Although the Bosch clamping Phone grip will not hold the phone as well as a quad lock I don't think I would leave my phone exposed on the bars for the rough stuff anyway, so having the option of easy wireless charging on smooth sections is good enough.

And, since phone cases are dirt cheap, once I get the phone grip I may look at modifying a case to prevent it from sliding in the grip.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I've never had my phone move even a millimetre in the grip.

I happily ride over rough terrain without worrying about it moving, obviously it's in an exposed position though.

audistwo

Jan 3, 2023
Angus
I've never had my phone move even a millimetre in the grip.

I happily ride over rough terrain without worrying about it moving, obviously it's in an exposed position though.

That's good to know, I bought one last week and will be using it when I get back.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles