Smart System (Flow) Komoot routes no longer work after 1.20 update with auto re-routing

Gauss Guzzler

Apr 26, 2024
CA
I don't know if anyone else uses Komoot-Flow navigation but I've found it to be useful, at least until the April update.

Komoot is free but very fiddly to use because it requires you to create little "off-grid" segments by (twice) checking/unchecking the "follow ways" button to get past every little hiccup in the trail. Also, there's no compass for some reason.

Anyway, now with the (much needed) automatic re-routing update they forgot to include the "off-grid" segments in the re-routing process. It's easy to imagine how an inexperienced software intern might make this mistake and it wouldn't be so bad if it only affected *re*-routing, but unfortunately it affects *all* routing because their implementation simply defines all routes as re-routes, right from the start.

So for example, if a trail crosses a street Komoot will fail to recognize the path across and I have to create an "off-grid" jump. Here is an extreme example where the entire route is simply that street crossing:

1719032206449.png

But when I tap on that route to select it, here is what it loads:

1719032237756.png

I don't understand how a "map" can even exist without a compass, but also, Flow now converts what used to be a simple street crossing into a 2.3 mile loop thru town. I haven't found any other threads on this topic and I'm surprised to be the only one to complain. Is it just me?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles