Levo SL Gen 1 SL motor and heat

Vin829

Feb 18, 2020
California, USA
Now that we are in the middle of summer here in CA most of my rides have been in the 90-100F range. How are these motors in the heat? It isn’t uncommon For 3 mile climbs and 2k feet. Is there a protection built into these motors? Last thing I want to do is blow a motor

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
@Al Boneta, LBS and EMTB guru, says it has auto shutdown like the FF Levo.

In any case the Spesh motor warrant is good.

55plusmxinsanity

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 18, 2019
Apple Valley, California
Well, I’m in the high desert, high temps too. No issues and I’ve ridden the SL (S-Works)enough with the motor off and it rides better than my Stumpjumper (carbon expert) that I can enjoy the ride back if the motor ever does shut off.
by the way I’ve ridden my regular Levo many times at +100 degrees outside and never had it shut off.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I’ve never been able to get close but anecdotally, from what I recall, the Brose drive models commence thermal rollback to 50% at around 90ºC motor temperature & progressively to cutout beyond that. That very well could be different in the Mahle SL drive.

High ambient temperatures don’t have as direct an effect as combined load factors ie. gradient, total weight, low cadence, high rolling resistance & high aerodynamic drag coefficient. High ambient temps definitely slow cooling though all combine to contribute to higher power demand and resulting higher core motor temperatures.

Controller temperature is also relevant though unclear exactly how, what effect or even if it’s measured at ~20A maximum current.
I just don’t want to be 20 miles from the truck with a overheated motor
That wouldn't be fantastic though as long as you've got a camelback filled with water, the wait for it to cool wouldn't be catastrophic.

* seems that thermal rollback commencement may have been lowered to under 80ºC motor temperature in the latest firmware

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles