Shout out to Industry Nine!

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
The bearings on my Hydra rear hub felt a bit stiff, so I followed the Industry Nine video tutorial to knock them out. The bearings turned out to be fine, so I cleaned everything up and began reassembly. But, I couldn't find anything in the garage to fit over the drive side of the axle.

The I9 website lists a tool for pressing on the drive side bearing. The site also says to expect about a 2 day turnaround for small parts. I paid for the part and some extra money for 2-day shipping (I9 is about 2600 miles from my house - typical shipping is at least 5 days).

Then I sent an email to their customer support address explaining that my only bike was down while I waited for the tool, and that I paid extra for fast shipping, so could they please process my order soon. I didn't expect the email to make any difference, but you have to try, right?

I got prompt reply saying that the tool I ordered was on back order, but they could substitute 2 pieces of a shorter tool that I could stack together to do the job. I said "Yes, please!" I got another reply saying that my order was complete and would ship out today.

It is very nice to have a company listen to you and then take care of you.

FWIW, yes, I could probably bodge/kluge some way to reinstall the drive side bearing. But my suspicion is that the original stiff spinning was because the bearings weren't properly aligned. Using the right tool should give me the best chance for success.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles