Levo Gen 3 Should i go to LBS for the first update for my new bike?

Han

May 25, 2021
Vienna
Hi all, i did read the megathread but still cant determine the right anwser. Should i go to my local bike shop to do the very first update or there is no difference to do it on the app by myself? I noticed someone said the reason it can only be done by a dealer is because some physical adjustment/measurement need to be taken. Local dealer charge my for 55 euro for the update since i didnt buy from them, while i remember last time only cost 10 euro for the canyon light activation.

By the way, for the 2022 sworks, on the manual says max travel for the fork is 160mm, warranty would void if i switch to 170mm ?

Thanks!

Han

May 25, 2021
Vienna
You can justify the price of an s works but not 55 euro for the shop to work on your bike?
Yes you are right, i knew people will say such things, but it is just matter of value of money and the time you need to spend it on.

Han

May 25, 2021
Vienna
Shop you bought it from should have done an update.
Unfortunately not, I bought a frameset only and the shop directly forward to me with everything packed as originally, this shop is 500km away

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Hi all, i did read the megathread but still cant determine the right anwser. Should i go to my local bike shop to do the very first update or there is no difference to do it on the app by myself? I noticed someone said the reason it can only be done by a dealer is because some physical adjustment/measurement need to be taken. Local dealer charge my for 55 euro for the update since i didnt buy from them, while i remember last time only cost 10 euro for the canyon light activation.

By the way, for the 2022 sworks, on the manual says max travel for the fork is 160mm, warranty would void if i switch to 170mm ?

Thanks!
I think it's just the same thing if you do OTA update by yourself using MC app ... unless you are planning to run smaller wheel on the back then only LBS can change wheel circumference so that your cutoff speed matches your regulations ...
Yes, 170mm fork can void warranty of your frame.

Han

May 25, 2021
Vienna
I think it's just the same thing if you do OTA update by yourself using MC app ... unless you are planning to run smaller wheel on the back then only LBS can change wheel circumference so that your cutoff speed matches your regulations ...
Yes, 170mm fork can void warranty of your frame.
Thanks man!

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
In case you bring it in for frame warranty claim with 170mm fork fitted ?

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
There’s no risk riding with 10mm extra , when you take extra sag into it it’d be about 7mm longer ☺️

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I thought the same thing, maybe you can just swap a 160mm one after crash, but still it's a trick with risk
There is no warranty case if it's obviously caused by a crash ...

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
There is no warranty case if it's obviously caused by a crash ...
Not sure I entirely agree. I sent a frame with a cracked seat tube back to Orange once, response was "I don't care how that damage occurred, no way it should have" and LBS sent a frame back to Whyte with a cracked chain stay. In both cases, need frame returned day after receipt of old.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Sure sellers/manufacturers can use teir good will and replace it anyway if they feel so or if you are very valuable customer, but generally it is as I said, crash damage = no warranty case ...

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
You can justify the price of an s works but not 55 euro for the shop to work on your bike?

No f*ing way I'd pay a shop that much to do a software update. And finally even Bosch has gotten on board with OTA updates.

ian408

Dec 1, 2020
Silicon Valley
Unless it needs a battery update or the OTA app tells you to go to the dealer, I'd just do it.

Something I learned recently was that when the app needs to be refreshed, you may get a message indicating the dealer needs to do the update. The message isn't very clear either. If you get an error that says you need to go to the dealer, first check to see that the app is up to date. If it isn't, update it and try again.

Han

May 25, 2021
Vienna
Unless it needs a battery update or the OTA app tells you to go to the dealer, I'd just do it.

Something I learned recently was that when the app needs to be refreshed, you may get a message indicating the dealer needs to do the update. The message isn't very clear either. If you get an error that says you need to go to the dealer, first check to see that the app is up to date. If it isn't, update it and try again.
thanks man!

BushLevo

Subscriber
Oct 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia

I found that every time I update Mission Control, I get the same message about having to go to the dealer. So I flush the app's cache (Android) and that fixes the problem. Specialized still have more work to do on this app. I only use it to do firmware updates. BLEVo leaves it for dead for gathering ride data.

ajbalfe

Sep 24, 2020
Wicklow, Ireland

Thanks!
I seem to remember seeing something about a change in fork travel of less than 10% being allowed.

Han

May 25, 2021
Vienna
UPDATE: I finally did the update by the very only local dealer here, looks like TCU2 doesn't allow to use bluetooth to connect with Mission Control APP before you do the first update, after the initial start, the screen shows a yellow turtle with "max. 15KMH, update first...", can mission control can not final the bike at all, the only way to do the update is using usb-c cable connects to a computer, which I dont have the proper software.

Only as Info to let you guys know.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles