• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Shimano XT Brake Rotor Noise

SuperSpooner

Jul 30, 2020
UK
I picked up my a new bike a couple weeks ago and I need some help to diagnose a noise.
It makes a clicking/ticking noise when I pull the front lever and its been doing it since day one when I picked it up from LBS.

I hoped it was brakes bedding in, but ive done 60 miles now and its still doing it.
It only does it when going above 10MPH and only when pulling the front brake.

I swapped the wheel with my other bike and noise goes away. If I ride my other bike with the new wheel the noise is present - so it follows the wheel.
This would suggest its not the calipers, pads, forks, headset etc.
I have replaced the pads and rotors (with the same) and is still present, so to me it has to be the hub, spokes or rim as ive ruled everything else out.
Either that or its normal, but its too loud to be normal and the back brake doesnt make the same noise.

Bike is Cube one55 TM
Newmen Fade hub and Newmen Evolution wheel
Brakes are Shimano BR-M8120
Brake rotors are Shimano RT-MT800 203mm

I attach a recording of the noise. You hear me pedal to get some speed, stop peddling then apply the front brake. The ticking in the second half is the noise.
I will be taking it back to the LBS for their input, but would appreciate any comments or recommendations.
Thanks

Attachments

• Voice 004.mp3
    306.7 KB

SuperSpooner

Jul 30, 2020
UK
Yup, that is next on my list of things to try.
I guess all im really after is confirmation that the noise is NOT normal for XT brakes and something else is vibrating and making the noise.

SuperSpooner

Jul 30, 2020
UK
So I took it back to the bike shop and they said its normal for XT brakes.
The hole pattern and resin pads just make this noise.
Is this other peoples experience?

There must be many people running 4 pot XT calipers with resin pads and icetech rotors - do they all make this ticking noise?

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I have XT, icetech and resin pads. I don't think it makes a noticable noise like that.

how are the pads wearing, and are the calipers spaced off the fork mount correctly so that the pad covers the disc correctly?

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Is it a single click or continuous ?

With a single click I think its a bit of play in the rivets that connect the center to the steel disc bit. Hope rotors do this sometimes.

As you first engage it, the rotor rotates a minuscule bit and it makes a click noise. I only use Hope rotors and noticed it for years. Its probably just the same thing and likely nowt to worry about

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles