shimano steps e8000 derestriction

robert

Dec 12, 2018
scotland
has anyone derestricted the e8000 ? I have just recently bought a bike which might have the new update that makes the shimano badass box useless,any other way of derestricting it ?

robert

Dec 12, 2018
scotland
Steps Unlocker app works a treat, available via the Play or App Store. Lots of info on here if you search
Steps Unlocker app works a treat, available via the Play or App Store. Lots of info on here if you search.
Steps Unlocker app works a treat, available via the Play or App Store. Lots of info on here if you search.
cheers mate

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If you've upgraded the firmware at any point. No, you don't need to change that, you can leave it as the upgraded firmware. Generally Shimano want you to keep the firmware upto date (use e-tube app). The updates fixe any problems and generally makes the bike smoother and more efficient as they tweak settings.

If you've been naughty and changed anything, like the EU speed restriction to US 32kph speed restriction, which obviously you wouldn't do .. but if you did, by accident for instance, then yes, you'd want to change it back before you take the bike back to the shop.

You can also change things like "peak motor power" with steps uplocker, I think you can up it to 600w from 500w ... Don't ! someone on here did and it just fried their motor.

robert

Dec 12, 2018
scotland
If you've upgraded the firmware at any point. No, you don't need to change that, you can leave it as the upgraded firmware. Generally Shimano want you to keep the firmware upto date (use e-tube app). The updates fixe any problems and generally makes the bike smoother and more efficient as they tweak settings.

If you've been naughty and changed anything, like the EU speed restriction to US 32kph speed restriction, which obviously you wouldn't do .. but if you did, by accident for instance, then yes, you'd want to change it back before you take the bike back to the shop.

You can also change things like "peak motor power" with steps uplocker, I think you can up it to 600w from 500w ... Don't ! someone on here did and it just fried their motor.

Reactions: MsO

boneht

Sep 22, 2019
oxon

Can the shop detect that steps unlocker has been used?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Can the shop detect that steps unlocker has been used?

Good question. The E8000 does have a "black box" where it logs a history of codes. I started to try and decode these one day but went for a ride instead ! :) Most of them are error codes, but it logs some other data.

For the "speed" change, you're not actually changing the speed or editing the limit. You're actually only changing the location from EU to USA and the main part of that change is that the firmware allows a higher speed limit if you're in the USA. So if it does record any changes to the geographical location setting .... I've no idea ... but if it does, and you were pulled up on it, who's to say you didn't take the bike on holiday with you to the US (without it's battery, and hired one there) and changed it whilst you were away - which presumably would be completely legal ?

I'm not suggesting you should change it, or that you'll be fine if you do change it, because who knows, they might log it and it might cause you warranty issues down the line.

boneht

Sep 22, 2019
oxon
Good question. The E8000 does have a "black box" where it logs a history of codes. I started to try and decode these one day but went for a ride instead ! :) Most of them are error codes, but it logs some other data.

For the "speed" change, you're not actually changing the speed or editing the limit. You're actually only changing the location from EU to USA and the main part of that change is that the firmware allows a higher speed limit if you're in the USA. So if it does record any changes to the geographical location setting .... I've no idea ... but if it does, and you were pulled up on it, who's to say you didn't take the bike on holiday with you to the US (without it's battery, and hired one there) and changed it whilst you were away - which presumably would be completely legal ?

I'm not suggesting you should change it, or that you'll be fine if you do change it, because who knows, they might log it and it might cause you warranty issues down the line.

They could presumably still argue that the change broke their T&C.

The black box records max speed and if this is max speed with assistance it would give the game away.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
They could presumably still argue that the change broke their T&C.

The black box records max speed and if this is max speed with assistance it would give the game away.

They could. Anyone who makes any changes should be aware that there is a risk.

From what I remember the max speed recorded in the data is just the max speed the bike has been, which for most people will be higher than the maximum assistance speed.

boneht

Sep 22, 2019
oxon

From what I remember the max speed recorded in the data is just the max speed the bike has been, which for most people will be higher than the maximum assistance speed.

I've heard that elsewhere too but I can't think of a reason they would record that.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I've heard that elsewhere too but I can't think of a reason they would record that.

I guess when you're sitting there developing it and you set it up to keep track of distance and speed, if you're going to record how far it's been, you might as well log the other field too.

I'm sure some time in the not too distant future someone will access the software to read the blackbox info and it will be public knowledge of what's actually recorded.

joppie

Jun 26, 2019
Stafford uk
I tried badass 4 and speed-box with not much success at all . Keep showing faults codes and got worse , my fault for up dating sort wire before I understood why not to .
So I tried the steps Unlocker app on my iPhone. And worked straight away so simple. I changed The market value to US altered my wheel size by 40% change Speedo to km,
Motor stays in gauged to 30 mile an hour checked with garmin device ,
So happy boy now well please for the right money

robert

Dec 12, 2018
scotland
I tried badass 4 and speed-box with not much success at all . Keep showing faults codes and got worse , my fault for up dating sort wire before I understood why not to .
So I tried the steps Unlocker app on my iPhone. And worked straight away so simple. I changed The market value to US altered my wheel size by 40% change Speedo to km,

robert

Dec 12, 2018
scotland

robert

Dec 12, 2018
scotland
Iv been trying to connect the unlocker my bike but it won’t connect neither will e tube, I don’t know what firmware is on my bike so I don’t know if iv got the update that stops deristriction iv just recently bought my bike with the e8000 motor.dont know if it comes with that update ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It shouldn't matter what firmware you have, it should work.

Are you using Stepsunlocker for Android or iOS ?

Is your bluetooth turned on on the phone ??

robert

Dec 12, 2018
scotland
my firmware is 445 / 407 would the badass box be compatible ?

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA

I just checked the black box on my E8000 using Stepsunlocker, my top recorded speed is 54.5kph-33.8mph, even though I've dabbed a bit in changing the wheel circumference I know for a fact I didn't hit that speed under assistance.

I can't see how this would give anyone justification to void a warranty.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
I just checked the black box on my E8000 using Stepsunlocker, my top recorded speed is 54.5kph-33.8mph, even though I've dabbed a bit in changing the wheel circumference I know for a fact I didn't hit that speed under assistance.

I can't see how this would give anyone justification to void a warranty.

TBH Realistically it probably won't be a problem.

But there's a bunch of people on the Internet who always want 100% "hold my hand" security that an obvious modification is risk free, when the reality is that if you mod something, you take that risk - otherwise just leave it stock.

boneht

Sep 22, 2019
oxon
TBH Realistically it probably won't be a problem.

But there's a bunch of people on the Internet who always want 100% "hold my hand" security that an obvious modification is risk free, when the reality is that if you mod something, you take that risk - otherwise just leave it stock.

Always handy to properly assess any risk you are taking with as much info as possible.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles