Shimano steps app...how does it work?

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
I know this thread should probably be in another place but I could do with a quick amswer. After downloading the app and upgrading I can change the levels of trial and boost mode.

My question is hopefully simple.

If trial mode is set to high and boost mode is set to high. Does this mean they both are producing the same kind of assistance? Or is trial modes high have a lower roof on it then boosts modes high?

Cheers guys. Thank you.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Nope, the lowest boost is more assistance than the highest trail - there is a thread on here with a chart explaining it somwehere.

However the trail mode is reactive to your inputs, i.e it adjusts the power it gives you based on what it sense you are doing. I actually find riding in trail easier to climb steep stuff with as in Boost it works best at a constant cadence, whereas Trail feels more natural.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
So do you have trial set in high mode then if your using it for steep climbs too. I may do this. Put it in high mode and then never really change.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Here's a link to the chart @R120 mentioned: Shimano power settings

(BTW love the bookmarks on this forum - great way of remembering stuff :))

Also found this on the Shimano Australia website once: Customise Your Ride With Shimano’s E-Tube Project App

I still have mine set in the default mode, which I think is Boost = High and Trail = Low. Mostly just use Trail mode unless I get to something which feels insanely steep and I want to just float up it.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I thought default mode was all medium . I just don’t play with mine enough .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Default setting for trail is LOW
I have mine set to MED for trail, HIGH for Boost .
Trail felt a bit pointless in LOW and I want BOOST as powerful as possible because as Rob would say EPOWA!

simpsons-wheel+sucker.gif

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles