Review Shimano Linkglide 10 speed drivetrain.

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Not sure on the quality of the derailleur and the shifter, but given how mine were working its an improvement at the moment. See how we get on with this.
If you had seen my cues review in this forum I 100% suggested not to buy the poor quality u6000 parts. Cassette is solid though.
The 10 speed deore linkglide mech and shifter work fine with the 48 cassette, despite Shimano saying max 43.

rhythm_101

Sep 16, 2024
Barcelona
Just ordered the 10 speed Linkglide with the XT 11 speed shifter:
LG 400 cass 11-43 (as I realised I don't and won't ever need 50T)
M5130 Deore derailleur
M8130 XT shifter
LG 500 chain.

All in £160.. BUT those nice people at Nationwide Building Society are giving me a £100 for being a mortgage holder with them. Or in other words cost to me £60. Ive been umm-ing and arrrr-ing over going for the 11speed XT Linkglide but to be honest I just don't think I'll ever use the larger sprockets on the cass. (I cleaned the 12speed SRAM that's on the bike this morning and the largest 50t has never been touched and the next one down 42 (I think) doesn't show any wear, but I know I have used it (maybe twice), so the new 11-43 should be bang on for my needs, and there's always Turbo anyway.
Sorry to dig up an old post, but how did you get on with the deore 10sp LG rear mech and XT 11 speed LG shifter? I would prefer a better quality 11 sp shifter, but I destroy rear mechs, so knowing that the cheaper Deore 10sp version works would be a great compromise,

Cheers

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
Sorry to dig up an old post, but how did you get on with the deore 10sp LG rear mech and XT 11 speed LG shifter? I would prefer a better quality 11 sp shifter, but I destroy rear mechs, so knowing that the cheaper Deore 10sp version works would be a great compromise,

Cheers
Yes it's fitted and all good. The only problem you'll probably run into is the original B screw is laughably short. I pinched the screw out of the SRAM derailleur I replaced (don't forget to swap over the small friction block before installing the longer screw).

When installed it's just a case of limiting the upper and lower screws to get the correct cassette range, and setting the B screw. The 11sp XT shifter works fine with the 10spd Deore derailleur. The shifter has single downshifts (going to a larger sprocket, easier pedalling) if using your forefinger, or double shifts if using your thumb. Which is great.

Shifting is a little slower, say 0.2 seconds which takes a while to compute that you need the pressure off the pedals slightly longer than normal, but once keyed in, it's a smooth firm shift. First ride setting the gear cable tension is also critical but easily done whilst riding, the drivetrain taking about 15 miles to bed in, it gets much smoother after those initial first miles and you change your 'off pedal pressure timing'. Single half shifts with the thumb (to a larger cog) aren't super accurate but work as your guessing the single shift point (bar the full double shift from the thumb).
Changing gear on techy climbs is WAY easier with the double shift, two full presses and you've moved 4 (over the NX shifter I had before) and being a 10spd and not a 12spd thats bloody fantastic for gradient changes. Here's a few pics:

IMG_20240921_192354.jpg IMG_20240921_192124.jpg IMG_20240921_160332.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles