Shimano EP801 red flashing light on motor

DeanBeanoTaylor

Nov 27, 2023
Cumbria
Hey everyone, just got my new Canyon Spectral:ON cf9 this week. Shimano EP801 motor.

I’ve noticed a flashing red light on a little black unit on the underside of the motor.

My last Shimano EP8 equipped bike (Nukeproof Megawatt) didn’t have this.

No errors on the display or on the Etube app.

I think it may be a GPS sensor for the canyon app but I’m not sure and can’t find any info on it. Will contact canyon but seeing if anyone knows on here.

Thanks!

Dean

IMG_5121.jpeg

106E7216-E9E5-4D53-9E2C-D51D74AA4CD6.jpeg

Backflip

Nov 6, 2023
Austria
Take care: The usage of this GPS tracker which is used by Canyon is (depending on your region) free of charge for 1 year - however after this period of time you normally have to pay a monthly fee!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
And if @DeanBeanoTaylor refuses to pay, what will Canyon do?
My assumption is that they will switch off their service at no cost to the owner.
If he subsequently gets his bike stolen and appeals to Canyon for help, no doubt they will quote an extortionate rate to reactivate the service!

Backflip

Nov 6, 2023
Austria
I´m not sure how the subscription for the GPS tracker will be handled in the UK after the free of charge period.
Most probably the service will get deactivated automatically if the fee will not be paid, but I´m not sure...
I just wanted to mention this that it is maybe a good idea to have a look on the manual of the bike or the GPS tracker to avoid problems on the long run. In my Country it seems like the fee for the Canyon GPS tracker will be around 35€ per year after the first year with free of charge service. I was just stumbling about this GPS tracker issue with Canyon bikes when I was looking for my current new bike, but then decided not to buy a Canyon (but only due to the very long delivery time at the moment of my decision earlier this year).

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles