• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Shimano EP8 motor stuffed at 1010kms - what brand of motor should I replace it with?

Bac

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
My previous Santa Cruz Heckler done 3000 faultless KMs before I upgraded > Shimano E8000

My Santa Cruz Bullit has done just 1010kms and the motor still runs, but has all lost drive (Stuffed drive clutch/free-wheel) > Shimano EP8 :rolleyes::mad:

Question is: Has anyone swapped out a Shimano motor on their bike for another brand? Is it possible? And can the existing battery be hooked up some how?

InkedWhatsApp Image 2022-02-19 at 2.56.23 PM_LI.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-19 at 2.56.22 PM.jpeg

Bac

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
Is it not under Warranty?

What's the Issue?

it should be, but you know what shimano warranty is like! I hope they come to the party, but proof will be in the pudding

The motor runs, but there's no drive. Appears the free-wheel clutch from the motor to chainring is not working. Put load on the pedals you can hear the motor tying to drive, but there's no drive

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
No. Not even all Shimano motors use the same bolt pattern. As mentioned previously, the only other motor that would fit is the E8000.
It might fit because the bolts are in the same place, but the wiring is totally different. I don't just mean connects in different places, but it has different connectors, different spec cables, in fact all sorts of stuff that I don't comprehend.

I only know this because I read it on here last year when the fact that the bolts spacing was the same had set a few hearts beating.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
:ROFLMAO: oh shucks I never thought of doing that!! Thanks so much for the idea

Y'know... Santa Cruz has always been pretty responsive. The first one I bought was fourteen years ago. When I broke the swing arm, they went out of their way to get me everything I needed in the shortest possible time. More recently, their CS seems to answer emails in 24-48 hours. It's a holiday weekend here, so it might take a little longer.

Bac

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
Y'know... Santa Cruz has always been pretty responsive. The first one I bought was fourteen years ago. When I broke the swing arm, they went out of their way to get me everything I needed in the shortest possible time. More recently, their CS seems to answer emails in 24-48 hours. It's a holiday weekend here, so it might take a little longer.

Yes absolutely Santa Cruz warranty is top notch, and so is my dealer... I wish this could be said for Shimano time will tell

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
It might fit because the bolts are in the same place, but the wiring is totally different. I don't just mean connects in different places, but it has different connectors, different spec cables, in fact all sorts of stuff that I don't comprehend.

I only know this because I read it on here last year when the fact that the bolts spacing was the same had set a few hearts beating.
There are adapters available for the wiring though, and worst case you just swap the display with the motor. I'd personally go down the warranty route, but that's not what the OP asked.

Reactions: Bac

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Keep in mind that, whilst the bolt pattern is the same, the ep8 is smaller than the e8000. A lot of manufactures took advantage of this and modified frames, so there may not physically be the space to install an e8000.

Bac

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
Keep in mind that, whilst the bolt pattern is the same, the ep8 is smaller than the e8000. A lot of manufactures took advantage of this and modified frames, so there may not physically be the space to install an e8000.

If warranty gets too hard with Shim, I'll be swapping brands. Imagine a Bosch on a Bullit 😏 😯 I'm keen to know if anyone has had the patience previously to swap out one brand for another and the associated parts on any other ebike

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
Is this suggesting that Santa Cruz won't stick to the warranty? That's who you are dealing with though your LBS. I'd try that (looks like you have not yet) and then think about all other options, which sadly are highly unlikely.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm keen to know if anyone has had the patience previously to swap out one brand for another and the associated parts on any other ebike
There have been a few swaps, but not many. One of the main issues you'd have is that nothing of one system will be compatible with another. So in your instance, I doubt the bosch powertube battery will fit in the frame. Also, obtaining all the parts you'd need can be incredibly difficult. Invariably, it's just easier and cheaper to replace the one part you do have a problem with.

The main swaps all resorted to using external batteries for ease.

Reactions: Bac

robbydobs

Jan 31, 2021
Sussex, UK
As well as all of the above, I don't think anyone officially sells motors to fit like this. They must all be bought through dealers, otherwise you have no warranty.

There are some motors that fit Shimano bolt pattern but I don't know how you'd buy, fit and change all the wiring/battery etc...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles