Shimano ep6rs a bit rattly at times over bumps?

Weeksy

Subscriber
Dec 13, 2019
Reading
It may be my imagination but my Rise seems at times a bit rattled/clattery over small bumps in trails etc.
Not all the time though but 30% maybe. Obviously if I hold the brake on it get a rattle moving the cranks, but that was the case on my older Rise too, so I think that's normal. But this seems more so on some trails?
Thoughts appreciated.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I don't know for certain, but the ep6 is probably the same basic design as the ep8. If that is the case, then the internals will have the same "problems". The ep8 was a lot lighter than its e8000 predecessor, had more torque and reduced internal friction. The consequence of the design to achieve these benefits was a slight rattle when not pedalling but traversing rough ground. When not pedalling there is a component inside the motor that is free to move and it might rattle. If the trail conditions are bumpy enough and quiet enough you can hear it. I had to listen really hard to hear mine, so I stopped bothering and now I never hear it. :)

However, this rattle is loud enough for those with good hearing and an accompanying sensitivity to bike generated noises to be totally thrown off their ride. It becomes an obsession and it ruins their enjoyment. :( Don't let that be you!

You should listen out for all unusual noises on your bike and get them diagnosed. If a fault, get them fixed before they become serious. If not a fault, ignore it. I believe that your occasional rattle is a feature and not a fault. Ignore it. :)

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
It may be my imagination but my Rise seems at times a bit rattled/clattery over small bumps in trails etc.
Not all the time though but 30% maybe. Obviously if I hold the brake on it get a rattle moving the cranks, but that was the case on my older Rise too, so I think that's normal. But this seems more so on some trails?
Thoughts appreciated.
You're probably riding the bike harder than you used to - the harder you ride the noisier everything gets. Also, a lot of trails seem to have got bumpier where heavy rain has washed cover away leaving stones/flint increasingly revealed. Certainly the case in South Downs where we ride, some trails have become bone shakers. And Mrs and me are not getting younger. 😉

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles