Shimano E010 Death Sentence

roughster

Jul 9, 2024
United States
Should the whole E010 fiasco justify moving on to other ebike motor manufacturers?

When my Levo went out, SPEC warrantied a new motor sent it overnight and I had my bike back in a few days. When my Ep8 went out, I went through three rounds of potential troubleshooting with the LBS, even self bought the eTube diagnosis kit, and still ended up paying close to $200 in LBS costs to ultimately be told, new motor and would be several weeks. This didnt account for my time and frustration over multiple weeks of driving back and forth and not having a bike to ride.

As I am getting ready to buy a new bike, I seriously look at a model and if it has a Shimano motor it's a hard No and move on.

I'm not trying to slam Shimano rather let them know this whole E010 debacle, which is still very alive aka just look at this forum, is now costing them future customers and bike brand avoidance. customers.

As the local trailbuilder, I get asked a lot about which ebike to get. Until the E010 issue is resolved, I will only be giving one "avoid" recommendation, and you can guess which that will be...

IMG_1950.jpeg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’m not familiar with your motor but I think things are improving each year. I’m probably a Bosch CX “fan-boy” but those can fail too. I’m fortunate, or unfortunate, to have a spare Bosch CX sitting on my shelf…just in case.

I don’t understand why a LBS wouldn’t keep a spare in the inventory. Money? Different types? Easy and fast delivery?

Every motor seems to have their issues.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
As the local trailbuilder, I get asked a lot about which ebike to get. Until the E010 issue is resolved, I will only be giving one "avoid" recommendation, and you can guess which that will be...
Welcome to the Shimano ex-users club.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I think I had a lucky escape with my first emtb. It was a Focus Jam2 and it had an e8000 motor. I switched it on when the pedal was resting on a log. This was exerting some torque and the display gave me the E010 error! Yikes! I switched the bike off, removed the pedal from the log and switched it back on, problem solved! Lucky or what?

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
I think I had a lucky escape with my first emtb. It was a Focus Jam2 and it had an e8000 motor. I switched it on when the pedal was resting on a log. This was exerting some torque and the display gave me the E010 error! Yikes! I switched the bike off, removed the pedal from the log and switched it back on, problem solved! Lucky or what?
That would have been an E13 error not E10. Very common for new Shimano owners.

G.M.

Dec 28, 2023
Germany
i feel you....avoiding shimano after 4 Motors till they make significant changes. Bought the last motor with my own money (out of warranty) and sold the bike. i think every motor will die at some point, but i had no luck with shimano ep8.

scott2655

Sep 24, 2020
Melbourne
My two year old yeti has the EP8 and it sounds like the bearings are shot so I’ll be having to find somewhere that sells the motor and I have no idea as to what cost it will be. The is my second emtb and I said I wouldn’t buy anything with Shimano again but wanted the Yeti. Next time it’s a serious hard no on any Shimano powered bike.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
My two year old yeti has the EP8 and it sounds like the bearings are shot so I’ll be having to find somewhere that sells the motor and I have no idea as to what cost it will be. The is my second emtb and I said I wouldn’t buy anything with Shimano again but wanted the Yeti. Next time it’s a serious hard no on any Shimano powered bike.
Go to a shimano agent and they will get you a motor at approx 25% off (£600) usually. You need proof of purchase of the bike. I don't think anyone will sell them direct.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
maybe i was lucky but my shimano e8000 motor had 0 problems even though i almost only rode enduro and downhill and abused the bike and washed it with a hose not really care to try avoid the motor😀

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
The only time I've gotten a E010 was after I'd messed with the speed sensor to get assist at higher than 30km/h. Even then it took a while and without any warning it shut down one day. I had roughly 1800km on said motor with about 800 of it being with the hack. I'm up to 1100km on the new motor without any issues to date.

I also have a norco bigfoot fattie with an e8000 unit with approximately 2500km that has been absolutely flawless, and another with an ep8 and 500km. That has also been flawless.

Maybe I've just been lucky but I really have no issues with the shimano motors besides.. the fact they're not servicable.

D

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Battery and connection was good. The beep boops logged all of the discrepancies with the speed sensor and eventually shut the motor down. I had a gear reduction thingie for a magnet at the rotor mount for roughly 800km.

This is what the lbs told me..

D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles