Shimano Deore 4 pots...

Dec 26, 2020
USA
They came stock on my '21 Commencal Meta Power 29er. My previous (analog) bike had SRAM Code R's. The Deores, especially the rear feel very underwhelming. The fronts actually feel fine, nice and modulated, but I can't even lock up the rear unless I really grab the lever hard. Coasting on a pavement downhill after the trail the rears don't even seem to slow me down that much.

It's a consistent feel, not like it would have air in the lines and the 2nd pull is stronger. I'll clean and scuff up the pads a bit.

They seem to have great reviews everywhere. Just wondering if this is a normal feeling with these Shimano brakes.

Last edited:

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Not normal at all, the several sets of deore 4 pots I've tried could stop a freight train. It's either air or contaminated pads.

I say this to everyone with stock Shimano brakes but it makes a massive difference. Make sure you've got sintered pads, Shimano have a habit of supplying resin for OEM, if not, buy well known branded sintered pads. Swap the fluid out for Putoline GPR6 2.5wt or redline like water to massively improve lever feel, and use a proper bleed funnel for the job, you can get them cheaply on the bay of e ?

Those deores should work just as well if not better than Code R's.

Dec 26, 2020
USA
Not normal at all, the several sets of deore 4 pots I've tried could stop a freight train. It's either air or contaminated pads.

I say this to everyone with stock Shimano brakes but it makes a massive difference. Make sure you've got sintered pads, Shimano have a habit of supplying resin for OEM, if not, buy well known branded sintered pads. Swap the fluid out for Putoline GPR6 2.5wt or redline like water to massively improve lever feel, and use a proper bleed funnel for the job, you can get them cheaply on the bay of e ?

Those deores should work just as well if not better than Code R's.

Thanks, the pads looked glazed, scuffed and cleaned them. Weird after only 2 short 6 mile rides, maybe I overheated them?

After the 5th or 6th bed in brake I really felt tbe power come back.
Before & After

received_922078835285205.jpeg

received_1090075581457222.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles