Shimano Compatibility Help

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
Not specifically ebike but here goes...

I’m struggling to get an RD-610 10 sp rear mech working with SL-M6000R shifter in a 1x10 setup on my kids bikes. Shifting to bigger gear needs a click and a half if not more on the shifter. Given there’s little friction (new cables) I’m wanting to know if the shifter isn’t pulling the mech far enough per click?

I can’t categorically find an answer on Shimano’s website whether they’re compatible or not.

Can you tell just by the mismatch in series I’ve bought the wrong kit, or should any Shimano 10sp mech work with any Shimano 10sp shifter?
Hoping there’s some compatibility gurus out there ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That mech and shifter combo should work just fine together on either a road or mtb 10 speed shimano, Sram or Sunrace cassette (upto a 36t largest sprocket).
They're definitely both Deore series and 10 speed right?

Possibly teaching a granny to suck eggs here but have you checked these things?

I'm not sure if you are saying indexing is out on ALL gears or the mech is just not shifting to the largest cassette sprocket.
frame's mech hanger is aligned and straight
Mech is not damaged/twisted
cables are seated properly (ferrules in all guide stops) and routed cleanly
outer cables are not too short anywhere.
mechs pinch bolt is clamping the inner cable at the correct side of the bolt?
also check that the mech hanger is not simply too far outwards from the dropout meaning that the mech (parallelogram) actually bottoms out on itself before it reaches the correct position to shift cleanly to the largest sprocket.
if the mech is not a new item check jockey wheels for condition and play

If I pretend these parts are on my Levo will that help?
no. I genuinely prefer kids bikes to Levos ;)

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
Thanks @Gary a couple of things I’ll check there. I’ve got a hanger alignment tool and have checked the hangers are straight. All kit is new & Deore.

I’m assuming I’ve made a mistake On the 24” wheel bike as have just about got it working on the 26” wheeler, although mech clearance is tight and shifting not as precise as it should be.

I might have misunderstood how to run a large cassette as part of this mix - trying to get 11-46 working. With the long cage mech with enough range I thought I should be good?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That Deore mech was NEVER designed to run with 11-42 nevermind 11-46. to do so will require a bit of a bodgey set-up (mainly B-tension)
Personally I wouldn't advise fitting any bigger than an 11-36 to any 24" wheeled bike for 2 reasons.
Firstly mech clearance (bottom jockey wheel to ground in the lowest gear) will be realy small
and secondly 24" wheels usually means super short chainstay lengths which will undoubtably cause even worse chainline issues with a really large tooth low sprocket

If the 24" bike is an FS all the I've listed issues above will be even more prevalent

What 24" bike is it? And what was your reasoning behind choosing such a wide gearing range? or such a low bottom gear?
a 36T sprocket gives a much lower gear on a 24" wheel than if fitted to an adult sized wheel
ie. a 36t sprocket on a 24" wheel is roughly similar gearing wise to a 42t on a 27.5 (and around 44t on a 29er)

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
Primary reason is to stop the kids moaning on the climbs ? As daft as this setup might sound, I saw a 24” Cube hard tail not long ago that had 1x10, 32 upfront and 11-46 at the rear (factory spec not aftermarket), so figured if that was factory built and worked so should mine.

I knew I was pushing it with the setup and am happy to downsize the cassettes. Trouble was when choosing the parts, there’s no clear view on what will work with a big cassette other than long-cage. On the 24”, do you think I need a shorter mech as well as more sensible cassette?

The bikes are both Squish MTB hardtails.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. I would probably stick on a 10 speed 11-36 and a shorter cage mech
Zee FR* is short cage, cheap, durable, 10 speed and will work with upto a 36t sprocket

*I run zee with 11-36 on 4 bikes here. an adult hardtail of mine, 120mm 26" FS (10yo daughters), 120/140mm FS (GF's) and my 170mm FS Eeb it's flawless on all of them but if anything, works even smoother on the hardtail
You need the FR mech rather than the DH mech. The DH will only work upto 28t difference is the dropout link is longer on the FR to accomodate upto 36t

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
Due to availability of parts/prices gone for Deore Medium cage on both, 11-42 on the 26” bike, 11-36 on the 24” bike. Both worked immediately with no drama and work smoothly.

Thanks for the help.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles