Shifter that uses fore finger instead of thumb?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
As per title is there a shifter that I don't have to use my thumb for? It quite often gets sprained when I have an off & takes months to heal. Then when it heals it happens all over again.
I currently have to take my hand off the bar & push with my forefingers. Current setup is SLX 12 speed but could look at changing.
Not interested in anything wireless thanks

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
Not sure if your aware but your SLX 12 speed shifter has 2 way shifting on the down shifter. You can use your index on that one from behind with your hand gripping the bar. So you can just keep your hand in the fist like position over the shifter and maybe that will be more ergonomic for you.
ke_rfp5_wm_07_p.jpg

Other then that, i dont know of any shifter that meets your needs and would be compatible with your 12 speed drivetrain.

Last edited:

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Gripshift is good, but if your thumb is sprained griping the gripshift might be as painful. Of course the advantage you might get is you could swap it to the left side (it would work backwards and be harder to use as its designed to be on the right, but if your other hand is ok it might solve the problem).

EDIT; ive read sram and shimano 12 speed shifters are compatible (unofficially) which might offer a cheaper way to try it out with your existing SLX derailleur

One option might be electronic gears, shimano DI2 is very light to shift (your SLX should be light already but DI2 will be lighter), Di2 can also be programmed to use only a left shifter if the right hand is the injured one.
Or SRAM Etap is a light shift, although you dont want wireless that or DI2 might be the solution you need.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
You could try SRAM AXS wireless shifting. You do use your thumb, but it’s just tapping a button rather than pushing a shifter. No effort required.

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
Maybe an old-school thumb shifter?

Despite the name, you can pull with a finger to go into a harder gear and push with your palm to go into a easier gear.

Last edited:

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Not sure if your aware but your SLX 12 speed shifter has 2 way shifting on the down shifter. You can use your index on that one from behind with your hand gripping the bar. So you can just keep your hand in the fist like position over the shifter and maybe that will be more ergonomic for you.
View attachment 67619
Other then that, i dont know of any shifter that meets your needs and would be compatible with your 12 speed drivetrain.

Only on Shimano . SRAM does not have .

weihlac

Subscriber
Oct 12, 2020
USA
As per title is there a shifter that I don't have to use my thumb for? It quite often gets sprained when I have an off & takes months to heal. Then when it heals it happens all over again.
I currently have to take my hand off the bar & push with my forefingers. Current setup is SLX 12 speed but could look at changing.
Not interested in anything wireless thanks
I have these on all my bikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles