Shifter cable woes

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
I have a 2023 E160 with about 1100 miles on it and yesterday I broke my TRP shifter mount by simply downshifting!
Downshifting has always required more thumb pressure than my other bike but I thought that was just because of the beefier XT derailleur.
Now I suspect the cable is damaged and /or improperly installed in that I can easily move the cage by pulling the outer cable up out of the derailleur but I am not strong enough to move the cage by pulling the outer out of the shifter suggesting the cable liner is worn through somewhere and the inner is binding under load.

Anyone else with recent models had issues with the cable and/or mounting bracket?
Did Whyte support you through warranty or just fob it off as a 'wear item'?

I have read the E180 cable reroute thread but I suspect my 2023 E160 routing is different

IMG_9052.JPG

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
Are you able to slide the inner cable through the outer without issue?

Its very rare for the outer cable to become damaged inside the frame, usually it will wear on the outside of the frame, at least in my experience

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
Are you able to slide the inner cable through the outer without issue?

Its very rare for the outer cable to become damaged inside the frame, usually it will wear on the outside of the frame, at least in my experience
Yes I can slide the cable back and forth BUT as soon as there is tension then it won't pull so I suspect there is a groove in the lining of the outer at a bend somewhere causing metal to metal contact under load.
More interesting is that downshifting has been harder than my other bike from day 1 so perhaps the cable was damaged during install.
Shifter cables are cheap enough but I am not sure if I would need to drop the motor to get it routed properly so I reached out to Whyte support to see what they say.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Its hardly wear and tear - its broken off.

How much is a new one? If its cheapish I'd suggest just buy one to get back going sooner.

billium

Jul 10, 2022
Sussex
Lessons learned after changing the cable ( inner and outer)

1. On XT system, downshifting should be as easy as upshifting! I rationalized it was supposed to be harder because I was working against the spring but I suspect Shimano compensated for that by making the downshift lever longer.

2. If only downshifting is harder then it is probably not a lubrication issue (which would make both directions harder) but that you have worn through the outer liner and are digging a groove in the outer's metal.

3. Changing the cable on a 2023 E160 is not hard if you join the old outer to a new one using the Park Tool adapter or in my case a really small bolt with the head cut off and then pull/push the attached cables through the frame. There is not need to remove anything other than the battery.

4. If the battery jams going back in then make sure the plastic cable stay piece is sitting between the water bottle bosses. It may have come unstuck and moved a little.

5. Whyte's design has a very tight bend between the chainstay and the motor and it is easy for the cable to be kinked here from any hit or even during assembly. They really should improve this.
My cable was kinked at this tight bend and given that downshifting was always stiff with the old cable and the old inner had minor kinks at the location you would be feeding it in when the inner end reached the tight bend I suspect it left the factory this way.

6. TRP's "4.1 I-spec adapter" is a weak point in that the broken piece in the pic above is the only thing holding the shifter in place! This is way more delicate than a traditional handlebar clamp. This mount is out of stock in UK for another month BUT the 4.O model uses the same broken part so that is what I got.

Old cable with kink

IMG_9071.JPG IMG_9069.JPG

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Gear cable routing is never easy on a full suspension bike. AXS is promoted mainly for its speed of gear change or ability to change gear under load whereas in fact it's main benefit is getting rid of that cable run.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles