Scraped paint?

Eliadn

Jul 25, 2022
Croatia
So I took off the rear wheel to discover this huge spot on the frame! It seems something got stuck between the wheel and the frame and was rubbing happily away like a sandpaper. I didn't even notice. I'm so pissed, I hoped to clean it with alcohol but no luck. It's very smooth to the touch, exactly like sandpaper. How would you fix something like this?
20220906_115554.jpg
20220906_115659.jpg
20220906_120426.jpg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Get in touch with the manufacturer and see if they do a " touch up" paint ..as an example Whyte do..
Personally it wouldn't really bother me ..bit of gaffer tape ..job done

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Was it a muddy ride? wheel and frame flex, coupled with wide tyres can do that.

Paint it with the best colour match you can find. Give it a few days to really harden off and then consider applying some protective film over it, and on the facing side too so that it doesn't happen there as well.

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Couldn't get a touch up paint from my manufacturer so tried G Paint Bike Paint (got mine off amazon). Comes in a set of 8 that you can mix together to get your colour and is applied by a small brush. Won't be as good as a spray paint but it actually went on quite well and I managed to colour match almost perfectly after a bit of trial and error (but that was on a grey part of the bike). Was down to the Alu on the rear triange. Chucked some fresh clear dyedbro over the area and can't tell.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Work out why it's doing it first. Is your wheel buckled? Wheel dish - do you have the same clearance both sides? Have you increased tyre size? Spoke tension ok?
Is the mark only on one side or both?

Looks like you aren't down to the metal yet so I wouldn't worry too much, you could put some helicopter tape on it to protect it.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Personally I would not bother with paint. If it happened once it can happen again so get some frame protector and wrap both chainstays in that area. A coloured genuine helitape would be best...not the thin rubbish you get in kits.
If you want to paint it it would be best to spray it but not easy on the inside of the chainstay. If it is down to ally it will need an etch primer first. I'm afraid a brush on touch up will not be tough enough.

Eliadn

Jul 25, 2022
Croatia
Yeah I think I will just tape something over it, painting would be a hassle and it's basically hidden by the tyre anyway. I have 2,6 tyres so the gap is pretty small. Last ride was really muddy with twigs and the usual forest stuff, I think I heard some faint scraping, but thought it's just leaves and whatnot. Ah well, it's a bike after all.

Eliadn

Jul 25, 2022
Croatia
Work out why it's doing it first. Is your wheel buckled? Wheel dish - do you have the same clearance both sides? Have you increased tyre size? Spoke tension ok?
Is the mark only on one side or both?

Looks like you aren't down to the metal yet so I wouldn't worry too much, you could put some helicopter tape on it to protect it.

Nah everything is fine, it was just something stuck in there, I guess just bad luck.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
It looks like repeated tyre rub rather than something stuck between the tyre and frame. Assume from the sidewall of the tyre where it's closest to the frame, not something getting stuck in the tyre knobs?
Could just be wheel flex but i'd be checking you've got the same clearance either side, helitape it up and consider a narrower tyre.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
^^^ What Yorkie said.
Your frame, wheel, and tire deform as you're riding, and that's what's causing the rubbing.

On my older bike, I have rubbing much worse than yours because I used to run fat tires. There was plenty of clearance on the stand, though.

On my newer bike, the damage looks nastier from the tire dragging sticks and rocks up in there. It's nothing to get upset about, especially on an aluminum frame.

Eliadn

Jul 25, 2022
Croatia
It looks like repeated tyre rub rather than something stuck between the tyre and frame. Assume from the sidewall of the tyre where it's closest to the frame, not something getting stuck in the tyre knobs?
Could just be wheel flex but i'd be checking you've got the same clearance either side, helitape it up and consider a narrower tyre.

Could be! But the sidewall doesn't have any marks on it. Could also be low tyre pressure, because then the tyre deforms even more, especially in sharper turns. On other side there's more clearance, but isn't that supposed to be like that? I for sure saw a picture of a cube bike here that had more clearance on one side than the other.

Atlas79

Feb 23, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Could be! But the sidewall doesn't have any marks on it. Could also be low tyre pressure, because then the tyre deforms even more, especially in sharper turns. On other side there's more clearance, but isn't that supposed to be like that? I for sure saw a picture of a cube bike here that had more clearance on one side than the other.
Maybe, maybe not. Some frames are designed asymmetrically, some not. I would have my LBS check the dish on that rear wheel. The dish is how centered the rim is over the hub. It is possible to have a wheel with the dish considerably off center, which can lead to such issues as you’re having.

GodsHammer

Apr 20, 2021
Kings lynn
Maybe, maybe not. Some frames are designed asymmetrically, some not. I would have my LBS check the dish on that rear wheel. The dish is how centered the rim is over the hub. It is possible to have a wheel with the dish considerably off center, which can lead to such issues as you’re having.

I use Nail Polish to touch up my dings keeps the frame safe. And the colour range is massive.

Have a good un and keep smiling 😊
20220911_080841.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles