SC Bullit and EP8

UVRail

Sep 13, 2020
London
Hello SC owners
I‘ve switched in December from a Trek Rail to an SC Bullit XT Air. One thing that really surprised me is the EP8 cutoff at 15mph. I understand this is a legal requirement and wasn‘t expecting any assistance from the motor above 15mph - but it also seems to prevent me pedalling unassisted above this speed. So if I’m on a flat, or on a gentle descent, the motor cuts out at 15mph, and I’m stuck at this speed - any pedalling to try and accelerate is like wading through treacle(!). When coasting downhill it’s not an issue - gravity takes the bike as fast as you want to go. I dont recall the Bosch motor in my old Rail hindering unassisted pedalling above 15mph (but I could be wrong). I don’t want to deristrict the bike or remove the limit in any way.. I’d just like to be able to pedal unassisted as fast as I want. Am I missing something?
cheers, UV

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
There are no secret speed restrictors on your bike. That's not how they work. When you reach 15 mph, you're feeling what it's like to pedal a heavy bike with slow-rolling tires. Time to put those legs to work.

luna87824

E*POWAH Master
Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
I have noticed that if you ride your bike without turning the power on, there is less resistance form the motor, as apposed to riding with assist and turning the mode switch to off, with the power still on.

mehukatti

Apr 25, 2020
Finland
While you mentioned that you are not interested, it's very easy to raise the limit on EP8 to the 32km/h US limit which is supported by the motor if you cough up the money for:

- Shimano SM-PCE02 USB dongle
- Shimano EW-AD305 adapter (from the old di2 cable of the SME02 to the new thinner one)
- Shimano EW-SD300 di2 cable (the new thinner one to connect to your EP8 bike)
- License for one of the 3rd party Windows software
- Windows PC

All of the above (minus the Windows PC which I already had) costed me 324 euro in total.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles