Routing rear brake cable on Trek Rail 9,7

Nicolai Wantzin

Apr 29, 2021
Denmark
Hi I would like to replace my shimano brakes with Hope brakes
Is it necessary to drop the motor, to route new brake cable. or can one just use the rockshox barb connector.
I'm a little worried about the part that passes the motor. It looks like the cable has a strong bend. inside the crank.
and have not been able to find any video showing how to route new cables.

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Hi I would like to replace my shimano brakes with Hope brakes
Is it necessary to drop the motor, to route new brake cable. or can one just use the rockshox barb connector.
I'm a little worried about the part that passes the motor. It looks like the cable has a strong bend. inside the crank.
and have not been able to find any video showing how to route new cables.
You might get away with using a barb, and pulling the old hose through to route the new hose, but I'm betting it's easier to drop the motor. It's not a big job, 6 bolts, unplug the wiring, break the chain, and it all lifts away. The hose and derailleur cable do take a bend around the motor but nothing that will interfere with proper operation

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Is it hard to take the motor out? I want to replace my dropper post cable. It's really hard to push the lever.
Its relatively easy if you're used to working on your bike in general. Remove the motor skid plate. 6 bolts (torx #40) secure the motor to the frame . Unplug the wiring. Break the chain. Motor will now lift away. ( You could potentially have something set up to put the motor on while you work, to save breaking the chain, but its awkward. )
Check out the exploded parts diagram pinned at the top of the Trek section for torque settings when reassembling.

Ajrail9.7

Apr 6, 2021
Usa
Its relatively easy if you're used to working on your bike in general. Remove the motor skid plate. 6 bolts (torx #40) secure the motor to the frame . Unplug the wiring. Break the chain. Motor will now lift away. ( You could potentially have something set up to put the motor on while you work, to save breaking the chain, but its awkward. )
Check out the exploded parts diagram pinned at the top of the Trek section for torque settings when reassembling.
Cool. Thanks for the help?

Philly G

Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Start with replacing the lever. I upgraded mine and have zero trouble with my post. 150mm is on the short side for me but it works.
A good lever can make all the difference but I would check the cable etc first before shelling out on a new lever.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I replaced the original lever that came on the Rail 9.7 with a wolf tooth ( bearing and different mount). Big difference. Neighbour did the same shortly after on the same bike …also a big difference. Both operate smoothly.
Having the LBS install new mt7’s Magura and new hoses.

Nicolai Wantzin

Apr 29, 2021
Denmark
Is it hard to take the motor out? I want to replace my dropper post cable. It's really hard to push the lever.
No it is easy, loosen the protector shield. and screw the 6 "Torx 40" bolts out. but careful not to drop the motor, you might damage electric wire ect.
I have the Sram AXS wireless dropper on my bike. so no cable.
but it should work by using a barb connector when routing the dropper cable

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles