Rockshox shock 50hr service kits

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I'm approaching 50hrs on a Rockshox super deluxe shock, and according to the manufacturer it needs an aircan service. My last shock I just took apart, cleaned, regressed and reassembled. Rockshox reccomend replacing some of the seals as well every 50hrs.

Bike is used for occasional light bikepark use, but mostly local bridleways. So not used as hard as some, but harder than just riding canal towpaths.

I've had a look to see if I can find the service kits, and the only ones I can find seem to be on ebay at £50. Seems quite steep every 50hrs of use? So, do people actually tend to / recommend changing the seals every 50hrs, or will a clean and relube be fine? And, anyone know where I can get seal kits from at a better price?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I keep my seals and stanchions clean and lubed before every ride. No other work.
I send the shock and fork for a service every year or 1200 miles, whichever comes last. Been riding for 14 years and I've not had a problem yet. Never had a poor report from the service agent either.

I too am not doing big jumps, but I have always done more than "occasional light bikepark use, but mostly local bridleways".

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I'm approaching 50hrs on a Rockshox super deluxe shock, and according to the manufacturer it needs an aircan service. My last shock I just took apart, cleaned, regressed and reassembled. Rockshox reccomend replacing some of the seals as well every 50hrs.

Bike is used for occasional light bikepark use, but mostly local bridleways. So not used as hard as some, but harder than just riding canal towpaths.

I've had a look to see if I can find the service kits, and the only ones I can find seem to be on ebay at £50. Seems quite steep every 50hrs of use? So, do people actually tend to / recommend changing the seals every 50hrs, or will a clean and relube be fine? And, anyone know where I can get seal kits from at a better price?

Should be about £25 I think.

FYI for about £42 you can get a Megneg upgrade which IIRC when I did mine included the service seals etc.

Not doing mine again until it starts misbehaving ;)

I also regularly clean and lube shock, forks, droppers, pivots.

Last edited:

Mitchb

Nov 13, 2021
San Diego
Just did a 50 hour service at 70 hours on the same shock. It was $46 for the kit; I agree seems steep. It did make the shock more small bump compliant as advertised, but another benefit was I was able to remove a token. There were two and I only needed one for my weight, so the new seals, new grease, and one less token definately improved my rear suspension.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Thanks all. I guess there is still an ongoing parts shortage which probably doesn't help prices either.

I'm tempted to give it a clean and new grease / oil this time and see how it goes, then possibly change seals at 100h.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Thanks all. I guess there is still an ongoing parts shortage which probably doesn't help prices either.

I'm tempted to give it a clean and new grease / oil this time and see how it goes, then possibly change seals at 100h.
I called race ready suspension in the UK and gave all the serial numbers of the 2 sets of forks and shocks I have - a mix of rockshox and fox. I got complete service kits for everything including fork dampers and interim service kits for all inc all seals and all oils for everything and I think it was around £190
worth giving them a call.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Things are definitely more expensive than they were even a year agp but you can mitigate the cost if you can be bothered to look into alternatives to branded stuff. Some oils & greases are easily substituted, some not so much.

Buying say a litre of oil rather than 200ml is cost effective and so on. You can get the 50 hour bill down to seals & O rings. The thing I would always cough up for is wiper foams. No good comes of skimping on those.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
do people actually tend to / recommend changing the seals every 50hrs, or will a clean and relube be fine?

Cleaning and lubing is fine. If the seal is good, then the seal is good. A new one won't get you anything extra. If it starts to weep, then replace it.

Growmac

Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Full Factory Suspension will sell you seal and oil kits. They also do improved wiper seals and stuff like that. Worth doing.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Many thanks, spoke to race ready suspension who have the kits in stock, but at £49. Full factory suspension have aftermarket kits for £25, so I've bought one of those.

Think ill stick to the plan if stripping and re-greasing at 50hrs, but have the seal kit available if needed. I'll need to change the seals at some point anyway, so always good to have them on hand!

Thanks again to everyone!

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I have been waiting 8weeks for 200h service kit for Reverb plus the keys from Bikeinn they say have in stock but don’t 😂

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Never serviced shock in 5600 miles , gets a wipe if muddy . Forks done twice by a friend 50 quid a go . Still working OK.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles