Rise - Check your Pivot Bearings

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
I just wanted to post here to remind people to check your pivot bearings. I trashed the rear, split pivot, bearings at about 800 miles and now my second set is trashed at 1,900 miles. The main pivot bearings are also now trashed at just under 2k miles. The only ones that weren't trashed at that mileage were the lower chainstay/main pivot bearings... although they were starting to get notchy.

I only mention this because I live in a dry climate and I only hose wash my bike 2-3 times a year and wipe it down with a moist rag otherwise. Those that live in harsher conditions would likely go through bearings in under 1k miles.

I usually start to notice the bearings are bad because the bike starts getting harsh... particularly the rear split pivot/axle pivot bearings. I'll notice some additional harshness during a ride or two and each time... I find a pivot bearing that's shot.

YMMV.

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
I've not checked my split pivot. Is there a simple way to check them, I've not even tried to pull them apart. My other bearings are still good after 2800kms

edit: found this video, guess they are the same:

Last edited:

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
it's amazing the difference in bearing life people get. I'm at least 3000km on my Rise in UK conditions so definitely mixed with a fair bit of mud and water at times. It's all still feeling fairly smooth though got a bit of a squeak recently that then went away. It's on my job list to strip down and have a look at the bearings but there's not been any movement to worry about.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
have a look at the bearings but there's not been any movement to worry about.
I've found that they go very wafty far before they start developing play. My old Trance had zero play but when I stripped every bearing down half of them were seized, a couple were very stiff and the remaining were proper notchy.

I certainly felt that the bearings were inadequately sized for the purpose and definitely weren't protected enough for the intended environment. Whether things have changed much nowadays I'm not sure. I was deffo impressed with the Pole setup though.

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
My old Cannondale full suss (non elec) used to eat the rear suspension bearings in no time, but they had used stupid little bearings for them! Even worse you had to bond them in, so a pain to change!!

Frankyspec

Dec 3, 2022
Belgium
I have asked the question directly to Orbea marketing , if the bearings of the new model 2023, are different or not,compared to model 2020-2022, but I didn’t receive an answer? I asked this before Christmas …

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles